Competing Against a PEO

scagnt83

Worldwide Expert of Everything
5000 Post Club
This thread was requested a few days ago. Although I was not specifically requested to start it; I thought I might share some experiences on this subject.

I am currently in the process of transitioning a business out of a local PEO. I am finally in the end stages of the transition.
The business had their Group Health, Supplemental, 401K, Workers Comp, and Payroll, with the PEO.

Business owners like the idea of a PEO service because it simplifies their life.
Most of the time pretty much all of their L&H/P&C/retirement plan business is with the PEO (the main exception will be Professional Liability Insurance)
If you cannot provide everything that the PEO provides, then their life becomes more complicated (something that they do not want) by having to go shop services that you cannot provide; and the chances of you gaining a client become very slim if you cannot provide the same services.

Dont get me wrong. The business can go shop whatever you dont provide... payroll solutions, 401K providers, P&C solutions, etc... but keep in mind that this makes their life more complicated, plus this means that they will be talking to your direct competitors. And what competitor would not say, "hey, why not place that business with me and consolidate your advisors"...

The best way to gain that prospects business is to show them that you can provide solutions (or at least avenues) to all of their needs currently being met by the PEO.
Most agents will not have the immediate resources to provide all of these services. The only way to do this is to form some professional relationships with others in your community.

The best argument against a PEO is control/flexibility/options/choice/ however you want to phrase it; but its about having a total benefits package that is customizable, interchangeable, and controllable.

Payroll:
There are lots of options for this.
The first option would be an online payroll solution from one of the national names such as Compupay, PayChex, ADP, etc. I have to say that Compupay has some very nice online solutions at some very competitive prices.

The other solution would be to find a local payroll service.
Talk to the owner and explain your situation and what you need from them.
If they offer competing services, he needs to know that business is off limits. I might even have them sign a referral agreement with you that states that they will not offer competing services to your clients that you refer.

In my current situation, the PEO had higher rates than the online services for payroll. They where about the same to slightly higher than most local Payroll Companies.

(This is also a good opportunity to try to set up some type of referral fee arrangement. Regulations are not as tight on Payroll companies like they are on us agents.)

Workers Comp & other P&C lines:
I will first say that I am not a P&C agent.
I built a professional relationship with an agent I knew and used their services. We have a very strong understanding of boundaries with clients that I refer.
I would suggest that L&H agents do the same with an experienced and independent P&C agent.

Fortunately all that I had to worry about was WC, but you might have to provide many different P&C lines to get them out of the PEO.

I was also able to save the owner over $100/month on their WC and the new policy has better coverage.

(This will be another valuable professional relationship that you can capitalize on)

401K:
To me, this is a key reason not to be in a PEO.

Theoretically, its a great idea; you pool your money with other companies and get lower internal fees compared to a smaller plan with less assets.

Any TPA fees are included in your service fee for payroll/etc.

Here are the catches:

- You have no control over what platform you are in, or what investment choices are available.

- You have no control over the administration of the plan.

More often than not, a TPA (Third Party Administrator) is a better option over having the actual plan provider do the admin.
(this is called an "un-bundled plan", as opposed to a "bundled plan" where the 401K provider does the Admin)

Proper 401K admin is much more than just filing a 5500 form at the end of the year and doing the top heavy testing.

401K plans/contributions can be structured in different ways, and it can effect the amounts and timing of contributions for your higher income earners (aka: owners).
If the business has or has a need for a Profit Sharing Plan (another huge benefit for high income earners), then it becomes essential to use a knowledgeable TPA.

TPA fees can vary; the cost of administering a PEO plan is not cheap because of its complexity, and that cost is passed down to the companies that make up the plan.
But the fee that a good TPA charges is well worth the money, especially when they are hire-able/fire-able by the company that they are affecting and not someone else.

- You have no control over broker compensation.
Broker comp is negotiable and there are multiple ways to reap compensation through a 401K platform:
-New contributions comp (sometimes called "front end" comp).
-Existing assets comp (back end comp).
-And even recurring fee based advisor comp from the company itself.

A good advisor will fully inform the owner of his comp and might even go so far as to explain why it benefits his employees over other methods (maybe even the existing method).

This was a key area for my current case.
The broker of record was in FL (im in SC) and was taking 150bps on the backend of the plan, and nothing on the front end.
This means that they where taking a larger percentage from the larger pool of money (existing assets) vs. the smaller pool of money (new contributions). This is an extremely lucrative comp structure; most brokers do the opposite.
(I usually take 75-100bps on the front end, and 50bps on the back end; but it will vary by plan size)
So by changing advisors/brokers, they are receiving a direct savings in their retirement account for all participants in the plan (the owner will be a main participant in any plan).

- Finally, the level of service from the advisor for the plan is usually very poor.

Its rare that they sit down the owner at the end of the year for a plan review. Or offer any planning services for executives or key employees.
Employee education is usually not the greatest from what I have found either.

If you are not registered, then find a registered rep whom you trust. Form an agreement with them that they will not compete for your business with the client.

If you are registered, but do not know the 401K world very well; work with the local wholesalers for the platform providers. They are usually very knowledgeable.

IMO, for plans between the $200K-$5mill range ...(the most common) ... MoO, Guardian, and LFG currently have the most competitive platforms.

Group Health:
I think that this area scares a lot of agents because they are afraid that they cant compete against the size of the PEO.
But thats not necessarily the case.

In my current situation, the PEO was basically providing regular group plans instead of having a true pool of employees from multiple companies.
The business was told that they would receive rates for a group of 4000 employees (it is a 4 man firm). But oddly enough they had to go through individual underwriting... which told me that they where not getting larger group rates.

I was right. I ended up quoting them the exact same rates on the exact same plan. I actually ended up getting bc/bs to do an agent of record change, which made my life considerably easier!! (after finally getting the change approved through the bureaucracy of bc/bs... lol)

I am in no way saying that you will always find this, but dont let it affect your motivation. Millions of businesses have their own group health plan, the PEO model is by far not a perfect solution to group health.

Again, you are limited in your options. Its whatever the PEO wants to offer you. So ask the owner "are you absolutely certain that this health plan is the most competitive option for you and your employees??"

Supplemental:
Supplemental shouldnt be an obstacle. You can find competitive rates for even the smallest of groups.

Emphasize employee education, enrollment/advisement, and participation that will be given by a local advisor who will sit down face to face with employees on a regular basis.

Finally, to sum things up; you need to reassure the owner that not only can you provide a more competitive solution, but that the solution that you provide will be an easy & seamless transition, not a headache!

Creating a huge headache and a storm of paperwork will be your prospects biggest fear, and helping them overcome that fear will be your biggest obstacle to gaining them as a client.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and happy selling!

Last edited:
scagnt83

Thanks for the posting as I was the one that requested it.

You gave some good selling points against a PEO without the true group health plan.

The PEO plans I am going up against have access to health plans that are not underwritten. Some of them are.

The ones that are not underwritten have good rates with cafeteria plan options. These rates can be tough to beat.

Where I have had success is when I quote the health and compare their current plan I have them add in the Admin fees they are paying. That creates a more level playing field on rates.

What I have run into is if the PEO loses one aspect of services then they drop the entire package. Which can create problems for small companies that are not well managed.

With the economy the way it is it really does not make a lot of sense to use a PEO plan because of the Admin fees.

I am a P&C and group health broker but I also work with a few PEO's... specifically Barrett (BBSI) and Gevity (GVHR). For the right client... it is very hard to compete with a PEO. They provide a savings of time and money for the right employer that cannot be matched by patching together options. For a client that likes to have full control of everything... PEO's are a very bad option and the entire relationship will blow up because you are fitting a square peg in a round hole.

A few years ago (and soon to be again) the WC rates in CA drove the account... and Barrett, Mainstay, etc could provide WC rates that were 15-20% below what was available on the open market for higher hazard industries (Trucking, Construction, Nursing homes, Building Maint, etc) so a lot of employers went into PEO's that were not sophisticated enough to keep up with the hiring practices and HR practices. Many of those relationships ended badly because the PEO's screen their employees much more than those employers were used to. If you have a savvy owner that understands the big picture (time and money savings) then a PEO is really hard to beat. They will enter into it and never come out. They might shop to get the PEO to lower some of the fees but they won't leave.

scagnt83

Thanks for the posting as I was the one that requested it.

Your welcome

The PEO plans I am going up against have access to health plans that are not underwritten. Some of them are.

The ones that are not underwritten have good rates with cafeteria plan options. These rates can be tough to beat.

Im sure.
The one I was in competition with gave multiple HI options. This might be why they where doing individual group plans as opposed to a pooled plan... idk...

You need to understand that even a $10/month difference in supplemental rates is usually not a big concern to owners when compared to the larger pieces of the benefits puzzle.
They are much more concerned about their 401K, payroll, and HI than any supplemental benefit. So remember not to harp on them too much as it will most likely not be a key issue in the discussion.

Where I have had success is when I quote the health and compare their current plan I have them add in the Admin fees they are paying. That creates a more level playing field on rates.

When doing this, remember that their Payroll Service Fees ($1K - $5K+ depending on size), and 401K TPA Fees ($1K - $5K+ dependent on size) are part of that Fee as well. So their is the potential for your comparison to be $2k-$10k+ off, depending on the size of the group you are working with...

So just lumping the fee on top of what they are paying in HI premiums is not a correct comparison at all.
Show the average fee for payroll and TPA services, subtract it from the total fees to the PEO, then throw the difference on top of the HI premiums.

(im not saying that you do this, just wanted to point it out in case you arent)

What I have run into is if the PEO loses one aspect of services then they drop the entire package. Which can create problems for small companies that are not well managed.

With the economy the way it is it really does not make a lot of sense to use a PEO plan because of the Admin fees.

The admin fees are a disadvantage. But imo, the limitation of control and options with a PEO is its biggest disadvantage. Especially on the 401K side. Some of the big players in the market have terrible 401K platforms.

When selling against ultra competitive HI premiums, I would suggest going over their current plan with a fine tooth comb, and pointing out anything thats lacking; that will lead you into the whole "control = suitable benefits" talk..

Last edited:
I am a P&C and group health broker but I also work with a few PEO's... specifically Barrett (BBSI) and Gevity (GVHR). For the right client... it is very hard to compete with a PEO. They provide a savings of time and money for the right employer that cannot be matched by patching together options. For a client that likes to have full control of everything... PEO's are a very bad option and the entire relationship will blow up because you are fitting a square peg in a round hole.

A few years ago (and soon to be again) the WC rates in CA drove the account... and Barrett, Mainstay, etc could provide WC rates that were 15-20% below what was available on the open market for higher hazard industries (Trucking, Construction, Nursing homes, Building Maint, etc) so a lot of employers went into PEO's that were not sophisticated enough to keep up with the hiring practices and HR practices. Many of those relationships ended badly because the PEO's screen their employees much more than those employers were used to. If you have a savvy owner that understands the big picture (time and money savings) then a PEO is really hard to beat. They will enter into it and never come out. They might shop to get the PEO to lower some of the fees but they won't leave.

On the PEO health side every prospect I have run into customer service was a real issue. The network was also a real issue. The problem I have had with getting these prospects is they do not want to shop the other aspects of what the PEO is doing. To go into a 15 life group that does not have any kind of HR person and switch everything the PEO is doing is a tough sale. The other kind of group is the 30-60 life group that is saving 25%-35% on health premium and sometimes it can be even more if there are high risk conditions with the group.

The admin fees are a disadvantage. But imo, the limitation of control and options with a PEO is its biggest disadvantage. Especially on the 401K side. Some of the big players in the market have terrible 401K platforms.
When selling against ultra competitive HI premiums, I would suggest going over their current plan with a fine tooth comb, and pointing out anything thats lacking; that will lead you into the whole "c benefits" talk..

When bidding against a PEO health plan you have to do this. What you find out is the coverage might not be that great. I have seen rich looking plans that had large inpatient and outpatient co pays. Also have seen higher limitations on outpatient therapies. Unless the owner has a problem with the plan it can be tough.

I wonder what the future of the PEO health plan is going to be? What is the future of the PEO? If they are leasing the employees back to the companies by law now they have to provide group health benefits or pay a penalty (2014)

ABC,

The two PEO's I deal with will offer group health but it is not mandatory... just the WC and payroll. I keep the group health outside of the PEO because the PEO does not compensate me for group health... and as you mentioned, their service isn't the best on that issue. The turnover among PEO reps is very high... but no higher than any payroll company.

Appearantly the PEO I was competing against switched just this year to a non pooled HI platform so that they could offer multiple plans.
I guess they had too many complaints about the old pooled plan; also, the pooled plan was set to have a 30% rate increase at renewal time this year.... and the rates where already above average

They only required clients to have payroll through them; but once you chose an additional service you are locked into it :no:

The fact that the business could get the same rates for group health, plus a better 401k platform and service, plus save on their payroll and workers comp; it was pretty much a done deal.

401Ks are very important to owners, they usually have a good deal of assets inside the plan.
I feel that pointing out the pitfalls of the PEOs 401K platform is one of the most effective methods to prospect against them.

In a different situation recently, I had a PEO as competition for a 401K prospect.
After doing a comparison of their plan and services, the owners immediately dismissed the PEOs option as inferior (even though they could have saved $ on their payroll services)

And if you think that the servicing on HI is bad with a PEO, try their 401K servicing, its pretty much non existent from my experience.

I work for a PEO based in NY. We are one of the few that only work through brokers so my job is to help my brokers sell against PEO's that sell direct and allowing you to keep earning your commission on the current plans your clients have and increase your commissions through offering large group rates on things they may not have such as dental, life and voluntary insurances. We also pay commissions on the administrative fees that we collect. Even if I cannot help you or your client with a case, I'm happy to answer general peo questions so feel free to send questions as I'm happy to help. Most of the info on here is correct...clients are attracted to PEO's for the benefit savings but come to rely on them for all of the state and federal compliance and HR services we handle for them.
Here's 1 thing that is very important when you are selling against a PEO at this time of year....tax resets.
When a client moves to a PEO their employees are moved over to be paid under the PEO's FEIN and therefore go back to zero(just like they do every Jan 1) with paying SS taxes, FUTA & SUTA. The employees will get credit for teh taxes they pay on there tax return next year. The employer does not and for most at this point of the year, that amount is thousands. Many PEO sales reps are chasing a number and skate over this little fact, mine actually discourages clients for moving now if it doesn't make absolute sense. Just mention it to your client or prospect and see what they say...it typically was not explained in depth and it will make them absolutely question the intergrity of the company they are entrusting so much to.

scagnt83 - thanks for starting this thread. I am a new member and very interested in the business that can be gained from the PEO industry, which I believe has run it's course.

I like all of this things stated on this post as I am not a PEO fan as I believe they have generally done more harm than good. It is interesting to see that more and more PEO clients are carving out their benefits because the cost from the PEO is too high. Also given the fact that the PEO client has a choice between Aetna and Aetna at a higher rate than they can get on the open market there is no reason to be in a PEO.

In Florida, we are finding that the PEO clients are being charged higher rates for unemployment, workers comp, payroll, health insurance and admin fees which were always high. In addition, there is what I call a FICA overage from PEO's that charge a percentage of payroll when the client is using a section 125 for employee benefit contribution. Their fees include 7.65% for FICA and being charged on total comp, not the taxable comp based on section 125 contributions by employees. All of this adds up to a lot of money.

The business owners in PEO's believe they are getting good service and concerned about being responsible for following up on everything on their own. From an administrative standpoint, if you also partner with a good HR firm that will act as the intermediary for payroll, benefits, workers comp, unemployment claims, employment compliance issues, etc., this should put all the final piece of the puzzle together for your clients.

January 1 is the best time to take a client out of a PEO due to unemployment and FICA issues that come into play when taking a client out in mid-year.

My problem is getting the business owners with a long standing relationship with a PEO to take a look at what can be done to save them money and make their lives even easier.

Latest posts

Back