Competing with State Farm commercial

NCAgent828

Super Genius
I’ve got an appointment next week with a retail shoe store in SC. Competing with State Farm. What carrier is your go to against State Farm?

While on the subject of State Farm commercial, where is their coverage lacking for this type of risk?

I'm certainly not a P&C agent, let alone anything with commercial lines.

My first thought... is to get a copy of the declarations page to see what you've REALLY got. Until then, you're grasping at straws.

In my opinion, be the "lowest risk" person to deal with. Just reassure that you'll evaluate their coverage and either you'll recommend something that's better for their situation (lower premiums and/or better coverage) or you'll recommend that they stay where they are because it's the best thing for them.

If you have access to The Hartford or Travelers you should have a slam dunk on the coverages. If you add the stretch to The Hartford policy, request pricing you're gonna kill it. DHK said it first but he's absolutely right... The BEST way to go head to head is to literally go head to head with their policy versus yours... get dec's. No offense to the State Farm guys in here... (though I am not sure I've seen any) but you TYPICALLY are dealing with a personal lines agent that has a very commoditized one size fits all (on a microscopic appetite) policy. You will have as an indy options that just are not there for the other guy.

That’s really good to know. I have no idea who they have now but they have been speaking with a State Farm guy. Probably a well meaning team member that wants the business to show his sales leader. But ultimately doesn’t write commercial so it may not even be approved. Thanks for the advice. I have access to both of those and will quote with them, Guard, USLI and see what happens.

Any more advice would be so appreciated if you have experience with this in SC

Not specifically in SC, but I've found negligible differences in most major carriers programs from state to state. That said, solicit any SC specific or alternative opinions... the more the better!

Back