Complexities in MA options discourage seniors from comparing plans

Insurance Forums Staff

Guru
Sponsor
Insurance Forums Staff submitted a new article

Complexities in MA options discourage seniors from comparing plans
bigstock-172370936.jpg

Many seniors miss out on savings and benefits because they are confused about how to shop for Medicare Advantage plans, says Ensurem CEO Dave Rich.
Continue reading the Original Article.

"they’d rather confront before MEDICAID included “getting a colonoscopy” and “going to the dentist.”

How did MediCAID get into the picture?

“What is needed,” Rich says, “is a user-friendly online platform serving as an insurance broker on one side and a provider of tailored Medicare solutions information and purchasing opportunities on the other.”

Sounds like he is advocating the elimination of agents.

The NEW Medicare Plan Finder was supposed to be easy for seniors to use. Even the stakeholders that "tested" the platform before it rolled out praised the new design.

But when AGENTS took it out for a spin it fell flat. And to make matters worse, it STILL is hopelessly broken even after last minute patches.

The infamous healthcare.gov was pitched as being as simple as ordering an airline ticket. Five years later it is still a mess.

This article is geared to MA plans which can be cost savings if one doesn't need the plan. If a person ends up with cancer, The best cancer center in the world doesn't take MA's. MA"s saves the Medicare program money simply because the consumer takes on more risk during the aging years when they may need good care the most.

If a person ends up with cancer, The best cancer center in the world doesn't take MA's.

Same can be said for heart conditions.

Places like Cleveland Clinic may accept SOME MA plans as long as they are not HMO. You may be balance billed if you use a PPO plan.

We have a company here in Louisiana that will negotiate on an individual basis for clients to go to MD Anderson and will treat it as in network. They are the exception by far.

The article is very convoluted. I agree that it seems like he wants to remove agents from the picture. That would be unfortunate because there are many people who think they want one thing or the other until they get it and it ends up not working for them. The whole point of the agent is to advocate for the client. Advocate well, eat well.

These carriers get 12k or so per person per year and they are fretting about the $250/year renewal commission they pay? That's like 2% of the total revenue.

Replacing labor/saving costs drives tech. They say artificial intelligence will replace a lot of people. The future may have to implement a universal income funded by the soylent green factories. It'll be a good time to be Amish.

Speaking of which, I see they are exempt from mandatory insurance and their life expectancy is the same as other Americans. But, you gotta eat scrapple.

I'd like to see him explain how a $6,700 out-of-pocket exposure for a Part C plan saves money vs. Original Medicare plus a Supplemental plan. Oh, and what about network requirements for Part C? Can't tell you how many people I speak with who didn't understand you can't have a Part C plan AND Original Medicare; they are two different systems.

That said, Part C plans can be very effective for Dual Eligibles or others in Special Needs Plans (SNPs) or others not capable of managing their own care. I'd also like to see Part C plans make a comeback as an employer-group alternative for active employees who are Medicare-eligible. The ACA made staying on small group plans (under 20 lives) post-age 65 a bad deal for most. About half of my Medicare business comes from folks still working but eager to escape expensive, high-deductible group plans. Aetna used to write a special small group Part C plan in my state that was attractive, but withdrew the plan several years ago. Group Part C plans solve the thorny tax issues invited by an employer paying premiums for individual Medicare plans for active employees.

Back