Compliant Marketing During OEP ‘19?

This is confusing... I saw it on AHIP as well.

Does AHIP consider AEP and OEP the same thing or separate? Isn't OEP another term for AEP?

As Chazm wrote...

However, AHIP is not clear about OEP being different from AEP.

So...
You can't send mail or anything to people during AEP, with a message about changing MAPD plans, etc. That wouldn't make sense.

It must be just for the OEP in January 2019.

Can anyone clarify.

No it’s just OEP. Aep is not OEP. IEP is probably what you are referring to.

This is confusing... I saw it on AHIP as well.

Does AHIP consider AEP and OEP the same thing or separate? Isn't OEP another term for AEP?

As Chazm wrote...

However, AHIP is not clear about OEP being different from AEP.

So...
You can't send mail or anything to people during AEP, with a message about changing MAPD plans, etc. That wouldn't make sense.

It must be just for the OEP in January 2019.

Can anyone clarify.

Some folks have used the terms Annual Election Period (AEP) and Open Enrollment Period (OEP) interchangeably for the fall enrollment period. This sorta worked while the "after the first of the year" enrollment period was called the Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period. The "after the first of the year" enrollment period has now changed to be the Open Enrollment Period (OEP). So now one has to be very careful in the use of AEP and OEP, both when putting out and receiving information.

Does anyone have insight into what marketing would be permissible during OEP? The verbiage sounds fairly strong that there is to be no targeting or sending unsolicited materials to Medicare Advantage members during that time. My concerns are that those enrolled too early during AEP would be picked off by other agents during OEP, as well as lead generation Jan-March.

Thoughts?

Unlike the OEP 1/1-3/31 of the past CMS is prohibiting the carriers and agents from soliciting plan changes for the 2019 OEP- it is strictly designed to be used by beneficiaries with buyers remorse etc.

I am mostly concerned with the Medicare Hotline TV ads that run non stop here in Fl picking off some of my clients.

I will be mentioning to folks I sell during AEP that if they are unhappy or need to make a change they have a 1 time opportunity to do so during OEP and for them to call ME because I carry all plans in their area. Could be around explaining the dfifferent election periods.

Some folks have INCORRECTLYused the terms Annual Election Period (AEP) and Open Enrollment Period (OEP) interchangeably for the fall enrollment period. This sorta worked while the "after the first of the year" enrollment period was called the Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period. The "after the first of the year" enrollment period has now changed to be the Open Enrollment Period (OEP). So now one has to be very careful in the use of AEP and OEP, both when putting out and receiving information.

Fixed it for you.

I will be mentioning to folks I sell during AEP that if they are unhappy or need to make a change they have a 1 time opportunity to do so during OEP and for them to call ME because I carry all plans in their area. Could be around explaining the dfifferent election periods.

From a consumer perspective, I would urge caution with the "all" statement unless it is actually true. I had a telephone agent tell me that and it turned out to not be true. They got pretty huffy with me when I called them on it. The agent who told me that was actually one of the most knowledgeable and consumer supportive agents I spoke with, but I just took exception to the ethics of that approach and did business elsewhere.

Fixed it for you.

Thanks. twocents was fussing at me about my vocabulary earlier and I've been working on getting terms stuck right in my head, but was still not confident enough to make a statement in that way.

I would guess that people reading posts here are going to have to filter posters' intent behind use of the term OEP for awhile.

Hi, nothing was mentioned about a broker using their website (with useful SEO) to educate the mass about oep and in what situations a medicare beneficiary might consider taking advantage of this 90-day window. Any observations on this?

If you read the source material (CMS "Medicare Communications and Marketing Guidelines), Section 40.7 "Prohibition of Open Enrollment Period Marketing", it's clear that the OEP referred to is the new one from 1/1 to 3/31

You're right.

Everyone really should stop calling AEP OEP.

Not gonna happen.

From Medicare.gov

Joining a health or drug plan | Medicare

Open Enrollment Period for Medicare Advantage and Medicare prescription drug coverage.

When?
October 15–December 7

Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period.

When?

January 1–March 31

Hard to mix those up, right?

(Are these the same folks who decided to use letters to designate both the Parts of Medicare and the Medigap Plans?)

Last edited:
Back