Comprehensive or Collision?

bathcandi

I was parked in a parking garage and when I came back to my car, there was a pretty big dent in my door. I called my insurance co and they are saying that it's not covered under my comprehensive coverage (which I have a $100 deductible) but it's covered by my collision coverage ($500 deductible). They are assuming another car hit it. Every other claim I've ever had like this was covered by comp as the car was parked and no one saw or knows what happened. I live in Florida and my insurance co is Progressive. I feel like the only reason they are using the collision is because the deductible is higher and they have a smaller payout. Any advice? If the police had come, would they consider it vandalism?

Seems like a hit and run to me, which is collision. Either your previous company was kind in considering stuff like this a comp claim, or there are differences in the incidents that you may be leaving out.

They are assuming it was hit by another car but there's no proof. Shouldn't that count for something? Will it count as a collision claim on my insurance record or do you know?

I don't know. I just wondered if the other deductible was lower, what they would've done. Thanks

Read your policy.

The choices are:

“Collision” means the upset of your covered auto or a non-owned auto or its impact with another vehicle or object.

“Comprehensive” means loss, other than collision, to your covered auto or a non-owned auto. Losses caused by the following are not collision losses but are comprehensive losses:

Loss caused by missiles or falling objects; fire; theft or larceny; explosion or earthquake; windstorm; hail, water or flood; malicious mischief or vandalism; riot or civil commotion; contact with a bird or animal; or breakage of glass.

If breakage of glass is caused by a collision you may elect to have it considered a loss caused by collision.

The burden would be on you to prove (not just say) that a dent on your door was due do something other than the lateral impact of another vehicle.

If the dent was caused by an opening car door from a parked vehicle as opposed to impact from a moving vehicle, would that affect the collision - comprehensive decision?

And if so, do dents from opening car doors demonstrate different physical characteristics than those created by a moving vehicle?

Last edited:
If this has been reported as a Hit and Run or Phantom vehicle, some insurers will reduce by half (or better) the deductible under the Uninsured Motorist portion of the deductible

If this has been reported as a Hit and Run or Phantom vehicle, some insurers will reduce by half (or better) the deductible under the Uninsured Motorist portion of the deductible

Actually it more depends on the state. In NC for instance, hit-and-run is ALWAYS collision. In SC it is UM.

Florida, if memory serves, has no UM PD coverage... period.

Back