Computer back up and recovery?

I use NTI Backup Now EZ 4. It came with my Toshiba Canvio 2TB portable backup hard drive. Very easy to use. I have it set for an automatic nightly incremental backup. One thing I like about it is I can go into my drive and see all my individual files that have been backed up in case I need to find just one item. I have found no disadvantages.

I also do a monthly manual back up to yet another portable hard drive that I keep separate from my computer. If lightning takes out the computer and the primary backup drive I don't lose more than a month.

For business records I suggest using two or three redundant hard drives or other media and do manual backups more frequently in addition to the automatic backups and then disconnect the redundant hard drive from the computer and put it in a safe place.

If all you are concerned with is the data and not mirroring the hard drive, I've used Carbonite for years. I've had to download all the data onto a few computers and everything was restored. The only negative is that sometimes Carbonite doesn't actually purge stuff from the backup after 30 days from when it is no longer on the computer.

Why not use a flash drive if all you want is backup of critical data. I do that. I use a password on insurance files because they contain dob and social security #. The flash
drive has passwords that are different from those on my computer and I store the flash drive in a dresser in my kid's bedroom (i work out of my house).

Why not use a flash drive if all you want is backup of critical data. I do that. I use a password on insurance files because they contain dob and social security #. The flash
drive has passwords that are different from those on my computer and I store the flash drive in a dresser in my kid's bedroom (i work out of my house).

Isn't that a HIPAA violation? :wideeyed:

Because flash drives can be lost, stolen, or become corrupted.

And, when the cloud security is breached, they have all your clients info. If they can breach the Pentagon, credit card companies, big businesses, etc., don't u think they can get into the cloud?

But, they can't touch the flash drive in my dresser.

Back