Concern about the longevity of Medicare

So, the whole “world is going to end in 12 years” thing is silly, but thinking that dealing with climate change now shouldn’t be a priority is hubris that will ultimately cause an end to our planet. That’s simply a consensus of the scientific community. There’s no debate.

Secondly, I supported expanding Medicare opposed to the ACA when is was being passed into law. The infrastructure is already in place with massive bargaining power and ultimately it’s a better program for the end user and cheaper alternative to giving subsidies to insurance companies.

I don’t think that it would significantly alter the way we do business. Expanding Medicare to all would unlikely remove the gaps that it has AND opening up a whole new market for the agent.

Removing the Medicare and social security tax cap is pivotal to saving the programs. I’m also for increased taxes if I don’t have to pay as much in insurance premiums for basic coverage. Opening the risk pool and charging people that don’t go to the doctor as often will decrease the average cost per person.

As agents, we should already know this.

For Disability, which I’m kind of an expert at, adjusting the vocational allowance grid to account for the increase in full retirement age would also save a ton of money annually.

We can debate politicians, R v D all day long.. but the truth is they’ve both swung so far from the middle that they’re simply catering the the most extreme of their constituents.

Congress ain't gonna live within means. Stole tax money and still spent what they were paid to spend. Military contracts are big business and the main reason we arm the world. Send poor people to kill other poor people and the people making the money aren't sending their kids.

Business isn't the 0 sum game that the Orange Whale thief in chief thinks it is. Henry Ford didn't pay his workers well out of the goodness of his heart. He did it so they'd be able to afford cars.

I've been to poor places and no business can be done there because no one has money to buy anything. You have to infuse capital so they have money and something to work on. Then they can be sold stuff. The problem is when the people with the capital keep all the money and cash stops flowing.

I call it the Janice theorem - freedom's just another word for nothin left to loose. Just France what happens when people don't have anything - let them eat cake. Money has to flow and people need to get what they think is enough.
I wondered how long it would tke you to start Trump bashing. The stock market is constantly setting records, unemployment is at an all time low for blacks, Hispanics and women. He's drawn lines in the sand...an unlike O'bama he backs it up. Trump could cure cancer and give everybody a million dollars and you Dems/Liberals would still complain. :mad:

So, the whole “world is going to end in 12 years” thing is silly, but thinking that dealing with climate change now shouldn’t be a priority is hubris that will ultimately cause an end to our planet. That’s simply a consensus of the scientific community. There’s no debate.

Secondly, I supported expanding Medicare opposed to the ACA when is was being passed into law. The infrastructure is already in place with massive bargaining power and ultimately it’s a better program for the end user and cheaper alternative to giving subsidies to insurance companies.

I don’t think that it would significantly alter the way we do business. Expanding Medicare to all would unlikely remove the gaps that it has AND opening up a whole new market for the agent.

Removing the Medicare and social security tax cap is pivotal to saving the programs. I’m also for increased taxes if I don’t have to pay as much in insurance premiums for basic coverage. Opening the risk pool and charging people that don’t go to the doctor as often will decrease the average cost per person.

As agents, we should already know this.

For Disability, which I’m kind of an expert at, adjusting the vocational allowance grid to account for the increase in full retirement age would also save a ton of money annually.

We can debate politicians, R v D all day long.. but the truth is they’ve both swung so far from the middle that they’re simply catering the the most extreme of their constituents.
If we ban cows, the world will be a safer place. :yes:

If we ban cows, the world will be a safer place. :yes:

I was going to write a response to your last two comments, but I'm smart enough to know that you can't change people's minds on something that they're emotionally tied to with factual points. (Not saying you're irrational, just saying you have an opinion that is cemented in your personal belief structure and that's almost impossible to change.)

It's the main reason why I just kind of glaze over when it comes to politics and this forum. People have the right to believe whatever they want. I'm just here to learn to be a better insurance agent and pass on little snippets that I learn along the way to people that are newer than me.

I was going to write a response to your last two comments, but I'm smart enough to know that you can't change people's minds on something that they're emotionally tied to with factual points. (Not saying you're irrational, just saying you have an opinion that is cemented in your personal belief structure and that's almost impossible to change.)

It's the main reason why I just kind of glaze over when it comes to politics and this forum. People have the right to believe whatever they want. I'm just here to learn to be a better insurance agent and pass on little snippets that I learn along the way to people that are newer than me.
I don't disagree that we need to start doing something now, but what about the rest of the world. China pollutes a lot more than we do. The Green Deal is ridiculous. Now the *** mayor of New York is banning glass and steel in skyscrapers and hot dogs. He wants to cut out commuting in cars while he gets around in a motorcade. Same with AOC, she doesn't live like she wants everybody else to. Typical hypocritical politicians.They ought to worry about cleaning up Nancy's backyard. :yes:

I don't disagree in the sense that the forum really isn't a political debate forum, however... Everything we do in the insurance world is based on government involvement, oversight, and overreach.

The differences between left and right often mean major changes that ebb and flow with the changes in political office. All I have to do is look at the ebb and flow of my revenue, and the sentiment of the customers as their rates grow or stabilize (the NEVER go down) to know what side of the fence I am on.

There absolutely does need to be a political discussion when exploring the origins of some of the pains we as insurance professionals go through. I'm not "left" bashing you or anyone, heck some of my best friends are left... and they, like me realize the MOST important thing despite me being right (most of the time, AND politically), is that we live in this top-shelf country where we are allowed to disagree without fear of oppression. I've been all over the world and this is the greatest country in the world.... at least for the next 12 years.

With 2020 fast approaching, I have been starting to think about the future of Medicare sales for those of us who participate in that market. Can anyone with a bit more insight than myself elaborate on what the ACTUAL chances of Universal Healthcare (I refuse to call it M4A, as that is an inherently misleading term unless you are actually referring to giving the red white and blue card to everyone) being enacted any time soon are? MAPD sales have become a huge part of my income and I really don't know what the future holds. I have heard some people say its inevitable, while others believe the insurance companies would never let that happen. I am only in my 20s, so I have an entire career to plan for. Of course none of us know any certainties, but any insight at all would be appreciated.

If the welfare state continues to grow, there is a strong likelihood that we will one day have single payer. If Americans don't have jobs, they will put naturally turn to the state to provide for them. The question is, what is the tipping point in which the voting base, combined with the political party supporting the welfare state gains control. The fact that these types of bills need to go through both houses and the president before becoming law prevents this from happening soon.

This could all change if executive orders, legislating from the bench and other abuses of power get out of control. For now, it;s not going to happen.

I’m sorry if what I said came across that I think we shouldn’t talk about politics here. That wasn’t my intention.

My intention was to say that I’m not interested in doing it. We can talk about the Social Security Trust, Medicare, and the like.

I’m saying that once that conversation moves to R v D/L v C or anything to do with a specific politician, I’m out because that’s a conversation about core values, which ends up being people talking AT each other opposed to through a problem. That doesn’t mean that YOU (general you, not specific person) should stop doing whatever you want.

I hope I clarified my point better.

When it comes to cows I'm with you... I say we eat 'em all!

chick-fil-acows.jpeg

Back