Concerned

I would definatley find a steady job whilst transitioning into a commissions only job.
Figure out what your family expense per month are and then cover it with a steady paying job while you work on the insurance proffession.

If the company you work for will pay you what your expenses are then you are closer to success but you do not need the pressure of bills and debt as motivation to close sales because clients will smell that a mile away. They need a secure agent who is doing what's in thier best interest and not buying your policies so you can pay your utilities bill.

Hope this is helpful. I hope I am not being rude but I want you to experiance success and not taint your proffession by the pressures of paying your bills & feeding your family. Being an Agent means being accountable to your clients. You are supposed to be a counselor and not a charity case.

Good luck my friend. This is a good proffession if you treat it with respect.

CHAS.R

Just my opinion...but "struggling with bills" and "based on commissions" can be a lethal combination. Try your hardest and keep the classifieds close by.

I agree with the above, but if there's a will, there's a way. Maybe it's a part time job on the evening or weekends? Either way, bust ass from 8 to 4 everyday and your bill problems will likely be solved in a few months. Don't depend on the company for leads, make your own breaks. My piece of advice is that cold calling for health insurance works. Either make calls or see people during the 8-4 period, study and do case prep before or after that. Good luck!

Putting your family at risk is not a worthy motivation to me. Wife and Family deserve security whilst dad goes out to make a living.

Having current finanical difficulties is a bad way to start in insurance... We usually are paid LAST after everything is done. Depending on the product and the carrier that can be anywhere from 30 to 90+ AFTER you turn in the paperwork.. So if you have current bills pressing, this is a difficult career choice.

I know from experience that the business I write this week, the first full week of November will more than likely hit my ledgers in January. Sales managers rarely talk to you about this, because they don't usually want to scare you away. But that's how it is.

I am a new agent about to start working with a Insurance Company Monday. I pray and hope that I am choosing the right career to be going in because my family and I are struggling with bills now and the company I am with is based on commissions but they to provide leads for their agents. When a company provides the leads is there usually a good outcome or should I get back out there and start looking for a salary job.

I am responding on this again because I personly have dealt with this option as well. You're instincts about starting to look for a salary job is correct. Good Man!
Now...As I have said before Do not ask your clients and especially your family to walk with you into "RISK". Your family needs a husband/father who is secure w his money and who is pleasant to be with. Not being able to pay your bills has a way of effecting our good nature sometimes.:mad:
Your clients deserve an agent who is clear headed & thinking of their well being rather than having the pressure of closing a sale because you need to keep the utlities co. from shutting off your electricity tomorrow.:cry:

In a nutshell:
1st - Make yourself and your family secure with a steady income first until you can transition into relying on your commissions to satisfy your families expenses. Do not forget about providing medical and health benefits of some sort. Even if it is an HSA
2nd - Work the insurance business at a comfortable steady pace while working the steady job. Your clients will feel you're sense of well being and self confidence oozing through.
3rd - Take this time to education yourself by reading up on Family budgeting, Debt clean up, Family finance/planning, Building Retirement, etc, etc. The more you know about these things the the better resource you will be to your clients and they will trust calling you as a reliable 1st step toward improving thier own finances.
4th - Be diligent and follow through with each of your insurance goals.
Treat the time you give to your insurance work just like any job, Shower, be on time and follow through regardless of how insignificant the work may seem.
5th - Try to put away an emergency fund of cash so that when you do transition over you will have a buffer of cash to fall against should your sales take a seasonal decline. I.E. Christmas can be difficult to close sales.
6th - I like your idea about praying.

Dont get discouraged and stay patient. You will experience rewards in due time. Keep plugging ahead.:yes:

If you were single wout family I'd say rent a room take an easy part time job and then go out gangbusters on your insurance business but that is not your situation at hand. And that is OK. Let this challenge bring you and your family closer together rather than farther apart. Your family will proud of you.;)

Best Regards, Chas

This does sound like a risky proposition. Think about it: If you're selling Life Insurance (which is what Liberty pushes the most), it generally takes 4-6 weeks before you get paid on your first case. That means if this is your only job, you'll likely earn $0 for your first month. When that third week rolls around and you have nothing to show for your work, will you still be motivated and working as heard as you will work on day one? That's where it's tough.

If I were ging to go captive, I'd go with a company that offers a base salary once you first start (I know AIG used to do this). I think you would be better off going independent and buying leads for awhile as you get started.

Well, Physicians Mutual is pretty good, Mutual of Omaha {agency system}, New York Life, AGLA, just around here in my area, just to name a few. Each state is different, though.

And Physicians Mutual is not captive anymore either. They also pay on submission, so if it is something like a guaranteed issue supp, you get paid very quickly.

Last edited:
Yes, I went with Physicians for a while, really liked them. Good folks there. I just could not visualize me doing it there, for some reason. At least I did not have to cancel all my appointments while I tried it out.

Back