Confused About Finding A Decent Company?

matilda654

Expert
I have been referring to this forum for quite a while now and it seems EVERYTIME I research a company that I have interviewed with and am considering joining, I find they are not worth working for according to the advice from agents on this forum.

So, as of today, I am STILL looking for a quality company to work with that will be there for me to teach me the ropes and guide me. I have considered selling Final Expense. I have also
considered selling medicare advantage plans (but from everything I have learned, there are way too many restrictions, as far as being able to approach seniors, etc.) and do not believe I want to pursue selling medicare advantage plans. I have also looked at buying my own leads, selling over the telephone, etc.

It almost seems to me, considering this economy, this may not be the time to try and earn a living by selling insurance, especially if it will be my only source of income.

At this point, I am very disappointed and am wondering if I should continue my search for a decent company to work with or if I should even consider renewing my insurance license.

I am open to any helpful suggestions? I live in San Antonio, TX, so if you know of anyone here that you recommend I contact, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry renewing your license when you have not found a company to work with yet?

First decide who you want to deal with, be it seniors during daytime appointments, Federal Employees, Business owners etc. Who you want to work with you lead you to the products to sell and the companies that are worthwhile.

Also realize it sounds like you are floundering now which means a captive or an agency that will train you may be your best bet for now realize that you will take a hit on commissions and may not own your clients does not mean you have to stay for the rest of your life but you need to get a system in place to put you in front of prospects.

It almost seems to me, considering this economy, this may not be the time to try and earn a living by selling insurance, especially if it will be my only source of income.
There are people who succeed - in every type of economy. There has never been a time of greater opportunity than right now. It's all a matter of your attitude...whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

I have been referring to this forum for quite a while now and it seems EVERYTIME I research a company that I have interviewed with and am considering joining, I find they are not worth working for according to the advice from agents on this forum.

So, as of today, I am STILL looking for a quality company to work with that will be there for me to teach me the ropes and guide me. I have considered selling Final Expense. I have also
considered selling medicare advantage plans (but from everything I have learned, there are way too many restrictions, as far as being able to approach seniors, etc.) and do not believe I want to pursue selling medicare advantage plans. I have also looked at buying my own leads, selling over the telephone, etc.

At this point, I am very disappointed and am wondering if I should continue my search for a decent company to work with or if I should even consider renewing my insurance license.

I am open to any helpful suggestions? I live in San Antonio, TX, so if you know of anyone here that you recommend I contact, I would appreciate it.

This business is not for everyone.

I am working in the same economy. unemployment in this valley has not been below 15% in three years. We are doing fine business wise.

Although every company gets criticized on this forum, they also all have folks that have been successful with them. AIL gets flamed on here routinely, but I did very well with them as did several others on here.

Also, as Wino pointed out, this business isn't for everyone.

I agree with Josh... you're going to find something negative about every company. I think you really need to decide whether you want to be in insurance because as winoblues... it's not for everyone. You need to commit and remember... that some times a good plan today is better than a great plan tomorrow. Would hate for you to waste time and energy in getting your license without giving it a fair shake... good luck!

Not sure what you're saying there, but some times it's easy... some times it's not... it's all small stuff.

I am a newly promoted Sales Manager with American General Life and Accident right down the road from you in Victoria, TX.

Not sure I would join and stake my future on AGLA until I saw how the merger of the AG and SunAmerica Companies shakes out. Would want to know what Mallon has in mind for the captive agents. He has been no friend to them in the last couple of years.

Back