Confused: Insurance Agent or Insurance Sales Agent

Johnny12

Okay so I wanted to get into the insurance industry by becoming an agent. Now what I don't understand is when I get my 2/20 license in Florida, where could I apply for a job?

Do the sales agents in suppose a State Farm office have a 2/20 license or a 4/40 license?

I'm guessing the person that owns a State Farm office is called an Insurance Agent and the people who work for him are called the insurance sales agents, right?

What salary does a new sales agent make who does not own a insurance agency?

I'm sorry for all the very newbie questions. I am just figuring out what to do at this point.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions and helping me better understand.

Your salary will be 100% commission.

Or, an insultingly low salary, in which case you just accept your lot in life is equal to being almost worthless

Last edited:
Okay so I wanted to get into the insurance industry by becoming an agent. Now what I don't understand is when I get my 2/20 license in Florida, where could I apply for a job?

Do the sales agents in suppose a State Farm office have a 2/20 license or a 4/40 license?

I'm guessing the person that owns a State Farm office is called an Insurance Agent and the people who work for him are called the insurance sales agents, right?

What salary does a new sales agent make who does not own a insurance agency?

I'm sorry for all the very newbie questions. I am just figuring out what to do at this point.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions and helping me better understand.

What makes you think you want to get into this industry when you obviously know almost nothing about it?

Here in Fla, a 2-20 is a full property and casualty (along with health insurance - go figure) producer's license.

4-40 is a customer service representative license. It has limited authority, and must be "attached" to a 2-20 producer's license. They are responsible for supervising you and your actions.

medsuptage said:
Your salary will be 100% commission.

Or, an insultingly low salary, in which case you just accept your lot in life is equal to being almost worthless

Depends. He's asking about SF. The agent runs the office and sales reps are under him. The sales reps get salary plus commission.

To the OP you need to figure out if you want to be Indy (which I think is hard to get contracts if starting out new) or work for an agency.

Back