Connecticut Kicks Retirees Onto Medicare Advantage

Looks like Connecticut is in some deep stuff. Not only has the state seen large corporations move out blowing huge holes in their already bloated state budget, but now the state is no longer footing the bill for their state-retirees healthcare - and instead will be shifting the burden to them by having them go through Anthem and UHC for MA plans.

Retiree healthcare changes in Connecticut union deal may set bad precedent | Yankee Institute for Public Policy

Connecticut is essentially self-insured when it comes to state retirees, paying out of pocket for 100 percent of the insurance costs for state retiree healthcare. The switch to Medicare Advantage is estimated to save the state $130 million per year.

If the proposed deal is approved by the legislature, all that may change and set a precedent for Connecticut’s future.
The state of Connecticut estimates the cost of retiree healthcare will be $731 million in 2017, surpassing the cost for current employees. That figure is expected to grow to $864 million – $120 million more than current employees – by 2019.

Jared Schmitt, on the budget staff for the Republican caucus, said that because the state is self-insured, taxpayers take on all the risk of paying for those healthcare costs. The Medicare Advantage plan would be administered by United Healthcare, which, along with Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, handles the medical insurance for current employees.

Georgia moves retired teachers to an MA plan at 65 I believe. Same two companies. 2 plan options. One has $3500 MOOP the other a $2500 MOOP. Co-Pays and co-insurance look typical. Not sure about drug coverage.

For the benefit of those selling in GA. My wife happens to be one of those retirees, and I could not convince her to forgo the offered plans and opt for a Med-Sup/PDP route. Why won't these b*&^%$tards offer that option as well? In my opinion this is borderline criminal.....offer a variety of true options, not just mediocre and slightly better.
I'll hopefully get her to see the light within her 8 month OEP, otherwise she will not make it through underwriting. Ever heard the term "too smart for your own good"??

Attachments

• 2017 SHBP MAPD.pdf
    483.5 KB · Views: 9
Jeff & Alpha. The situation you describe with the SHBP is called "seamless conversion".

Happens quite a bit.

Employee approaching 65 gets a bunch of stuff in the mail about Medicare. Current carrier sends info with an "opt out" provision which no one ever reads. If anyone complains their defense is "We told you and you did not opt out so now you have the MA plan".

The counselors also put the squeeze on them and tell them if they refuse the MA plan they can never re-enter in the future.

Currently the retiree plan is better than most of the MA plans available in the private market. But some folks would prefer original Medicare and a Medigap if they felt like they had an option.

Back