Considering getting into the insurance industry, need advice/direction!!

Hey bud,

I got out of the mortgage industry after 10 years in December of last year. I got into Health Insurance and it was a good move for me. Find a local Independent Health Agent to teach you the biz.

Mike

Yes find a local guy, most on this forum won't teach you a thing, they're not into competition and some like to think they know it all, which usually means they don't.

Anything I can do to help, holla back via email!!

Hi,

I need advice on which way to go. I have been employed with State Farm for an agent going on 2 years now. I have 5 years experience in insurance. He knows my goal of wanting to become an agent and is willing to help me achieve the goal. I know with state farm it is a long process maybe 2-3 years before even getting an agency. I have been approached by Farmers to become an agent. The process for Farmers seems easier and quicker. I like the fact of being able to work from home from Farmers because I have 3 children. I know I will have to work hard whichever way I decide to go and know I can do it. Just don't know which company I should go with. Any advice on either company would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RC

Hi,

I need advice on which way to go. I have been employed with State Farm for an agent going on 2 years now. I have 5 years experience in insurance. He knows my goal of wanting to become an agent and is willing to help me achieve the goal. I know with state farm it is a long process maybe 2-3 years before even getting an agency. I have been approached by Farmers to become an agent. The process for Farmers seems easier and quicker. I like the fact of being able to work from home from Farmers because I have 3 children. I know I will have to work hard whichever way I decide to go and know I can do it. Just don't know which company I should go with. Any advice on either company would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RC

Why would it take 2-3 years to get on with SF. If your good, go become an approved candidate and it doesn't take long after that. Of course, read all the posts on this site about becoming a new SF trainee agent. Many of the posts are not good. I'm also a SF agent, for full disclosure.

Why would it take 2-3 years to get on with SF. If your good, go become an approved candidate and it doesn't take long after that. Of course, read all the posts on this site about becoming a new SF trainee agent. Many of the posts are not good. I'm also a SF agent, for full disclosure.

From what I have been told once you become an approved candidate with SF you go into the pool and wait for an office to become available. From what I've seen the approved candidates waits quite a while because they have to wait for an agent either to retire, pass away, or move into management to get an office.

From what I have been told once you become an approved candidate with SF you go into the pool and wait for an office to become available. From what I've seen the approved candidates waits quite a while because they have to wait for an agent either to retire, pass away, or move into management to get an office.

That is true, but there are alot of agency openings. More than ever in the history of the company. Shouldn't have to wait very long if you are a good candidate. If you go that route, you might want to check into that some more.

Do some research and get back to us, GT350. Rolling 401K's is a tricky business, and not one to take lightly, and certainly not one for newbies.

I wouldn't guess there were too many agents who move into management...and certainly not as many managers who move into agencies....

Who do you think makes more money, with less headaches?

Most management people on the agency side come directly from former SF agents. Also, plenty of managers eventually move back into production after serving in management, usually with a much larger book of business then they could have ever grown on their own.

Agents make more money on an average, than management, and have headaches of a different sort.

Ok Guys, This is day 1 for me. I just recieved my study guide for my state of iowa exam. I have been recruited by an excellent company and i am excited about going to work instead of school now. I just finished my Business management degree in college and am happy about that. I was highly recruited and found the company i want to work for.
However, Taking the test is kinda scaring me after reading some of the posts on this site. I did real well in college, and I am 44 years old with alot of sales experience. I never thought I would be an agent, but you never know, Right?
Any suggestions on getting started? I was told to study for my "Accident and health" exam..

Ok Guys, This is day 1 for me. I just recieved my study guide for my state of iowa exam. I have been recruited by an excellent company and i am excited about going to work instead of school now. I just finished my Business management degree in college and am happy about that. I was highly recruited and found the company i want to work for.
However, Taking the test is kinda scaring me after reading some of the posts on this site. I did real well in college, and I am 44 years old with alot of sales experience. I never thought I would be an agent, but you never know, Right?
Any suggestions on getting started? I was told to study for my "Accident and health" exam..

Good luck!

Back