Considering transition from Call Center to Independent Medicare Sales

I feel like I should probably know that. I can still log into most of my accounts, so I am not certain. That would be a question for HR in the morning I guess.

Since they asked you to resign they might release you with no problems.That's different than you getting the training, letting them pay for your licenses and then quitting.

Since they asked you to resign they might release you with no problems.That's different than you getting the training, letting them pay for your licenses and then quitting.

All true. But there also may be a non-compete, a confidentiality agreement, etc in place too. Ask HR.

You won't need all 22 of the carriers to get started, just the big national ones, most likely.

I think it varies by state, but an insurance non compete would never hold up in FL. Sure, you can’t poach their clients but you can’t be told that you can’t sell insurance products.

I was suspicious from the first due to the huge number of enrollments, that these sales might not be CMS compliant. I once worked at a call center and a 58% score would send you right out the door, as they knew the wrath of CMS could fall upon them and they would lose everything. The company regularly pulled calls and scored them for compliance. It sounds like this slipshod organization went for quick enrollments and nothing else.

By the time I explained the parts of Medicare, enrollment periods, formularies, donut hole, going through the entire summary of benefits, explaining appeals/grievances, checking providers to ensure they were participating, LIS/Medicaid status, and then working through the application, including the lengthy statement of understanding, and, finally, explaining how they could transition seamlessly when the effective date arrived, I was wayyy past 20 minutes into the call. Often it was more like an hour. For the ones who needed extra assistance, an hour and a half was not uncommon.

One clue was how the OP called the SOB the "skeleton of benefits." I thought that was funny!

Skeleton of benefits was a work joke, since that is basically what we would do. From the 3rd to the 7th I had 102 sales, so, obviously we were packing them in. Most of it was carrier overflow. For example, we handled most all of Scott and Whites cost plan transitions. It would be "I need to enroll into X plan my claim number is " to start nearly every phone call. We tried to explain that the 7th deadline didn't apply to them, and schedule them for a later time, but most people couldn't be reasoned with, and they'd already been on hold for an hour usually.

Lock-in selling was a lot different however as I'd generally spend longer and dig for a reason to change someones plan. Whereas during AEP if someone was on the phone, clearly they had some sort of issue with their current coverage (unless it was all that was offered) and when you offer basically all the carriers it makes it easy to find a plan that should suit them better.

Skeleton of benefits was a work joke, since that is basically what we would do. From the 3rd to the 7th I had 102 sales, so, obviously we were packing them in. Most of it was carrier overflow. For example, we handled most all of Scott and Whites cost plan transitions. It would be "I need to enroll into X plan my claim number is " to start nearly every phone call. We tried to explain that the 7th deadline didn't apply to them, and schedule them for a later time, but most people couldn't be reasoned with, and they'd already been on hold for an hour usually.

Lock-in selling was a lot different however as I'd generally spend longer and dig for a reason to change someones plan. Whereas during AEP if someone was on the phone, clearly they had some sort of issue with their current coverage (unless it was all that was offered) and when you offer basically all the carriers it makes it easy to find a plan that should suit them better.

Just so you know, my somewhat critical post was not directed at you personally, but at your employer. :v_SPIN:

once CHU starts listening to our calls things change. All of a sudden there is a big compliance push,

Never saw that one coming . . .

NOT

I was asked to resign (a few weeks ago) and while I am still getting paid for a while longer, I no longer work there. It is unfortunate because the bosses were perfectly aware of what we were doing.

This is not directed at you personally, but making money illegally is a great gig until it ends. In the case of a highly regulated industry like Medicare, you are lucky you didn't lose your license or face CMS sanctions and fines.

Back