Considering US Health Group

I am a newly licensed agent in Florida (Tampa/St.Petersburg area). I have my 2-15 license (Life, Health & Annuity). I am being pursued by Liberty National, Bankers Life & US Health Grp. Can someone give me I little insight on these companies, good or bad?
Also, I have been browsing this forum for a few weeks and I am very interested in the services offered by the IHIAA. I would really prefer to go independent and utilize my past 10 years of sales experience. My fear is not going independent, but having not been formally trained I feel that my only option is to sign-up with one of the companies above, get trained, then leave. Then there is the problem of being locked into a (indentured servitude agreement) contract with one of these big firms and loose all future rights to the business I write.
Is there a training site or curriculum out there that someone could suggest?
Any sound advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I'm here in the Bay Area as well...

The companies that you have mentioned are all "second-tier" (if not third) type operations.

Going independent with no industry experience is a recipe for frustration and disaster. Please don't do it. You need to make your bones.

Do you want to do primarily life, or health?

I think I'm leaning more towards focusing on Health, then I could pitch Life and other products once I'm in the door.

Yes, it's a good door opener to other products. I've had a lot of success with that approach.

Just my opinion naturally, but what I think you'll learn from the US Health Group is how to ram second rate coverage down people's throats. Not a good approach for long-term client building...

If I were you (and of course I'm not) what I would do is get started with one of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida's "Contracted General Agencies". You'll get lead support, training and the like (Benco in NPR is a good one).

It's good coverage, and easy to sell. Comp is shi*ty. They'll let you sell some ancillary products (life, etc.) as well.

Most importantly if you eventually want to go independent, you'll learn how to sell against Blue Florida, which is a necessary skill.

If you want to eat, that is.

Great information moonlight... I actually have an interview with one of Blue's contracted GAs tomorrow. I think this may be the best route for me at the time. Thanks for the information and insight.

US Health will tell you to write a bunch of health and take huge advances on it, till you earned /owe them about 3 grand, then it all lapses { or could lapse} and you owe them back the three grand. Sounds good to me. This is how it works with all commission advances, not picking on US Health.

Basically , if you want to go into debt for 3 or 4 grand you might as well take out a loan and start your own business. Oh yeah, and you have to fork over a credit card at US Health for like a start up fee. Ask them about that.

I am being pursued by Liberty National, Bankers Life & US Health Grp. Can someone give me I little insight on these companies, good or bad?

I have been pursued by the same three companies in South Carolina.

I went on two interviews with Bankers. It seemed like a sweatshop. Two days a week they want you to make 150 calls a day in the office. Sounds like you are calling a lot of recycled leads. You share commissions during the training period. They had the nicest office. But the agents seemed very young and turnover seems high.

Liberty National is sending me a package but it seems like they want to charge you a lot of money for leads. I think the rep told me $450 for 20. They do not seem to have much of a training program. Just a few hours. Some of the other companies are saying they will send me to the home office for a week or two to train. It may be different in FL.

I honestly liked my interview at US Health Group. I liked the way they described the lead system. I guess they have a telemarketing part of the business that collects them. You get to listen to the conversation the marketer had with the customer, so it may help you prepare a bit when you try to book an appointment. The rate on the HSA seems to be the best in the industry and the three year guarantied premium, which are a nice selling points in the High Deductible Market. It is a second tier company, but seems like it could grow to me.

I would love to hear a first hand account from a captive from US Health Group. I am leaning towards signing up with Sterling since it sounds like a good place to start out. But USHG seemed like a potentially better opportunity to me.

Liberty National is sending me a package but it seems like they want to charge you a lot of money for leads. I think the rep told me $450 for 20. They do not seem to have much of a training program. Just a few hours. Some of the other companies are saying they will send me to the home office for a week or two to train. It may be different in FL.

Sounds like to me you are not talking Lib Nat here. They train you real hard for a week or two. I've done it. Then, they have tons of free leads, but the leads stink. They will not ever send a package out. They get you in the office to sign up on the computer screen so you cannot really read the contract. It's a touchscreen deal, with a signature pad. Sounds to me like you are mixing Lib Nat up with another one like Lincoln Heritage, or some such company.

Last edited:
Back