Content writing

Professional copywriters MAY take the time to learn your business but many will scrape content and rewrite it. Had one a few years ago that actually scraped MY content then resold it to me as "fresh".

Even if they get the content right (and not scraping) they usually don't know how to put emotion into their writing in the same manner as someone who really understands the market and clients.

There's no doubt that some copywriters will just scrape by... that's just the nature of humanity and freelance work. But by asking for samples before hiring and explaining the content you want, the writer can take your concepts and add copywriting techniques, emotion, and structure to it.

I recommend Upwork, because you don't pay for the content until you approve it (unless you do hourly work). As to your later comment about paying $40 per each article, I think that might be your problem. That's a pretty low rate, which is probably why that freelancer took a short cut. Not acceptable by any means, but understandable from an outside perspective.

As a rule of thumb, paying around 15 cents per word or over $30 per hour will more likely get you a quality freelancer. I'd also suggest going for 700-900 words per article. That'll help with SEO as well as just fleshing out your article. Shorter articles are OK sometimes, but the longer ones will gain more traction in the long run.

If that's just not in your budget, it's worthwhile to practice your writing skills. I'm working on an article this week for New Horizons on how non-writers can write using a simple formula that I personally use all the time – I hope that'll help in the future (if you see it), but also online research will probably yield some helpful tips, too.

Thanks for your feedback. And yes, I did not imply that ALL copywriters were inept.

The firm I used (can't recall who it was) had a rather expansive online presence. Not a Fiverr type of hire. This was at least 5 years ago, maybe further back. Ten cents a word (vs your suggested $0.15) was actually "high" at the time. Many were half that rate.

At the time I did not have time to curate and write my own material so I farmed it out. Also used a lady that frequented this forum at the time. She did a better job and did not scrape my own work then spin. She put out a few articles for me and then wanted to move on to something else so we parted.

What I do now is in the 2,000 word range when I have the time to do it.

One very successful online marketer on this forum uses copywriters to conduct the research and generate 2,000 - 3,000 word articles. He takes those and rewrites them to add in the emotion and make the articles a bit easier to read.

Sounds like a plan to me. Just need to ask him (again) who he uses.

If you shop around on Upwork you might be able to find someone who has some insurance experience. You would be surprised what you will find if you look for it.

I'm working on an article this week for New Horizons on how non-writers can write using a simple formula that I personally use all the time – I hope that'll help in the future (if you see it), but also online research will probably yield some helpful tips, too.

I'd sure like to see that - or a link to it - when you publish, Bekah. I am new to the whole website promotion arena and content is killing me.

I'd sure like to see that - or a link to it - when you publish, Bekah. I am new to the whole website promotion arena and content is killing me.

It's scheduled to be published on Tuesday, February 20. If you sign up for our weekly newsletter (in the sidebar on any of our blog posts), you'll get a notification on Wednesday.

Copywriting is selling in print.

Who would want to Outsource selling?

Unless you've got the budget for a Dan Kennedy, you're the expert, and should be the one writing your articles.

The agent is the one with the extensive technical experience with the product, in addition to the first-hand knowledge of how the client thinks and what questions they would ask.

Unless you work with a copywriter who has specific experience in your niche, I see no reason why it would make sense to Outsource it.

Truth is is, the smart copywriters with the technical experience are doing their own copy writing and selling their own service, not taking a fraction of the fee through copywriting services.

Strongly disagree with this statement. A professional copywriter will work with you to learn about the subject, and they'll package it up neatly for your website. Hiring a professional writer is really the way to go – and I'm not just saying that because I'm the Copywriter for an FMO. Writers focus on writing so that you can focus on selling.

I'd suggest trying Upwork to find a writer – ask for some samples. You'd be surprised at what you can find.

Copywriting is selling in print.

Who would want to Outsource selling?

Unless you've got the budget for a Dan Kennedy, you're the expert, and should be the one writing your articles.

The agent is the one with the extensive technical experience with the product, in addition to the first-hand knowledge of how the client thinks and what questions they would ask.

Unless you work with a copywriter who has specific experience in your niche, I see no reason why it would make sense to Outsource it.

Truth is is, the smart copywriters with the technical experience are doing their own copy writing and selling their own service, not taking a fraction of the fee through copywriting services.

I definitely see your point, but I don't really think that's the issue. The issue that a lot of agents aren't good writers. Or at least they don't feel they're good writers.

For example, about half the agents I talk to on a regular basis can't even stand writing emails – they'd rather pick up the phone and talk then type a word. That's the beauty of a professional writer. You tell them what you want to write, and they wrap it up nicely. That's really the point of hiring someone to help.

Back