Continental General

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
In looking at the med supp rates for my state, I see that Continental General is competiive with AARP on Plan F, plus there is no waiting period for pre-existing conditions as with AARP.

Anyone know anything good, neutral, bad, or ugly about this company.

Thanks.

Winter

Frank is the supp king.

I think I know the answer but I am going to wait for Frank on this. Most of the supps I have wrote were age ins coming off of group plans where there is no waiting period since they had health insurance prior and were guarantee issue.

Not "A" rated by A.M. Best (Yea...I know. That doesn't mean everything).

I have never used them. A lot of complaints associated with them.

Made a few calls to them. Man, they are one frigging disorganized crew. I guess they are or are becoming part of Great American so their organizational functions are spread out. Their pricing is good but that certainly is not everything... by any means. On the other hand, if anyone has had good experiences, I would like to hear it, or bad or whatever.

Winter

I am contracted with them and I put a boat load of business on thier E plan here. They had the best rate in the state. They took a 9% increase last year and a 25% this year( increase). The underwriting was completely up to the agent if they wanted to lie or not. They have changed that now and require a POS interview before issueing policies. I do not trust the rates. I have had no problems at all with claims. They do NOT rate up smokers here either.

Continental General was purchased by World, and they're still in transition. Customer service has been an absolute cluster since the takeover, and I would steer clear. In fact, I'm not sure how it works with med supp policies, but they stopped selling all lines of individual health in the spring of '07.

World only bought the major med side of the biz. Great American bought the senior products. I beleive they are suppose to bump up and tak Great Americans A rating also.

I rarely use them. Ever since they started the career side the rates went skyrocketing. Neither AARP or CGI have competitve plan F's here. MOst of their career agents write for other companies besides Great American. Sleezy agents!!:D:D

In looking at the med supp rates for my state, I see that Continental General is competiive with AARP on Plan F, plus there is no waiting period for pre-existing conditions as with AARP.

Anyone know anything good, neutral, bad, or ugly about this company.

Thanks.

Winter

I've done a ton of business with CGI, but not some much recently. Excellent agent/customer service out of their Shawnee Mission, KS office. Great fax app program, very prompt commission payment, etc. A good comment was made that they didn't (historically) require at PHI, so they got "clean sheeted" and, of course, rates got hit. Also, they took on a lot of GI business in 2000-1 with the HMO fallouts (crushed plan F in most states), so they rolled out a plan E which lasted awhile.

Good comments otherwise, true that World only took over MM business, Senior business is owned by Great American.

I heard that UCT is hot in ME. I don't work with them, their financials make me a little nervous (I looked them up on the OH DOI website where they are domiciled), they are fraternal and could access their certificate holders (policy holders in the non-fraternal world) if they got into financial trouble.

Guaranteed Trust Life (GTL) was pretty good for a while as well.

I represent GTL and CGI, but don't know the ME market that well.

Got the appointment paperwork for Continental General and they require E&O. That's fine because I have it but most E&O policies do not cover B-rated carriers, methinks. Seems a little weird.

Winter

Back