Continental Life Implementing a 5% Household Discount

sman

Guru
5000 Post Club
I'm sure some have gotten the email, but for those who haven't, Continental Life/American Continental is implementing a 5% household discount on Med Supps. Currently it is only in Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska and Texas. And it has to be on the same policy form (i.e. - both modernized Med Supps).

Looks like they are really trying to gain market share. We'll just have to wait and see how they are with the rate increases.

I'm sure some have gotten the email, but for those who haven't, Continental Life/American Continental is implementing a 5% household discount on Med Supps. Currently it is only in Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska and Texas. And it has to be on the same policy form (i.e. - both modernized Med Supps).

Looks like they are really trying to gain market share. We'll just have to wait and see how they are with the rate increases.

VT and NH also................................................

Great that it applies to all policies written back to June 2010. I have a few dozen couples to deliver good news to.

VT and NH also................................................

Not disputing that, but the email only listed the states I posted. Maybe VT and NH were already that way and they are rolling out these states now.

Not disputing that, but the email only listed the states I posted. Maybe VT and NH were already that way and they are rolling out these states now.

VT and NH were some of the last GE worth states. They just went CLI for 7/1. They offer the 5% on new business.

VT and NH were some of the last GE worth states. They just went CLI for 7/1. They offer the 5% on new business.

It's 7/15 in the seven new states. Apps submitted prior get charged regular rate but can then send in household discount form--dated on or after 7/15--to get discount applied next premium draft. Those who pay other than monthly EFT don't get discount until next due date. This is unfortunate as about one out of five of my med supp clients pay annually. Good for new biz and existing clients back to 6/1/2010.

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

Last edited:
I called all my couples that are on American Continental yesterday and told them about the discount. That was a lot of fun vs. talking about rate increases. I mailed them all the Household Discount Form already filled out except for their signature. They could also have them call the customer service number on their card but thought this would make it easier on them. Suppose my commissions are headed down 5% also but that's OK.

I called all my couples that are on American Continental yesterday and told them about the discount. That was a lot of fun vs. talking about rate increases. I mailed them all the Household Discount Form already filled out except for their signature. They could also have them call the customer service number on their card but thought this would make it easier on them. Suppose my commissions are headed down 5% also but that's OK.

This would have been a perfect opportunity to see them face to face, and update their needs assessment to cross sell. The sales you'd pick up would far outweigh the 5% commission loss due to the discount. That is if you sell face to face, not over the phone. They'd be happy you were looking out for them with the discount, and keeping up with their needs :yes:

Back