Contract or NO Contract Thats the Question

keeptruckin

Expert
I was under the understanding when I got my appointment and took the state test that I would sign a contract and get to work..I have for two weeks been training with the Insurance agent who hired me on to sell exclusive for one Supplemental Insurance company.
The training is important but most confusing since the insurance co. wants things done a certain way and the agents I am training under are old dogs and continue to train under their own way and than insist I do it the new way or company way.
I am still waiting for the contract I signed two weeks ago to go through and get a writing number. I cannot sell without this and have no idea when or if the companys backround check going to allow me to work or what. I was asked aboutfelonys and I do not have them but have a couple of misdemeanors from 25 years ago(teenager out of high school).
Would you work without a contract this long , is this normal to wait this long ? what is the norm?

It sounds as though they are "milking" you and having you do their work. However, it can take a while to get a writing number. My agents are usually able to begin writing with just a few days after submitting their contracts.

You said "supplement" insurance, do you mean Med Supp? If you only have one company to write for you may be severely handicapped. It is almost imperative that you be able to write for the companies that are among the top competitive in the state you are selling in.

If you would like, give me a call and I will be happy to go into more detail.

You aren't with Bankers Life by any chance are you?

It sounds as though they are "milking" you and having you do their work. However, it can take a while to get a writing number. My agents are usually able to begin writing with just a few days after submitting their contracts.

You said "supplement" insurance, do you mean Med Supp? If you only have one company to write for you may be severely handicapped. It is almost imperative that you be able to write for the companies that are among the top competitive in the state you are selling in.

If you would like, give me a call and I will be happy to go into more detail.

You aren't with Bankers Life by any chance are you?
the duck thanks I will give you a callbut right now I am an emotional bag of upheaval and need to gather myself. I like what I may be doing as soon as I get a writing number and am willing to work but I am getting the put off feeling. two weeks is long and I have only unemployment to fall back on so life is blowing. Are you available at that number during banking hours or also weekends? Or should I assume as an agent you are available practically all the time? by the way they are working withme to learn their ways however confusing they are.

the duck thanks I will give you a callbut right now I am an emotional bag of upheaval and need to gather myself. I like what I may be doing as soon as I get a writing number and am willing to work but I am getting the put off feeling. two weeks is long and I have only unemployment to fall back on so life is blowing. Are you available at that number during banking hours or also weekends? Or should I assume as an agent you are available practically all the time? by the way they are working withme to learn their ways however confusing they are.

I'm an insurance agent, do we ever get to "stop" working? :D

Call anytime.

The duck is a tough gig in the sense that there are a LOT of agents peddling that stuff and they're nearly always recruiting. If you took unemployment you'd probably end up making more money than 90% of agents that work with the duck. Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying, insurance is a great business and voluntary worksite benefits can be awesome too, but most Aflac agents get zero real training and zero leads which results in zero sales and zero commissions.

It shouldn't take more than a week for contracting to go through, but it's more likely that any hold up is a result of someone in contracting dropping the ball or someone letting it sit on their desk too long on the way to contracting as opposed to any real problem with it.

Looks like I need twenty post before I can PM so I am close. My boss is trying to train me on how they want it done but it isn't consistent thru-out the agents and really not at all. I wished was told that there was more to than getting an appointment with them so could tske the est..seems like they have hidden hurdles.

Looks like I need twenty post before I can PM so I am close. My boss is trying to train me on how they want it done but it isn't consistent thru-out the agents and really not at all. I wished was told that there was more to than getting an appointment with them so could tske the est..seems like they have hidden hurdles.

I think you should take in everything going on and figure out what you think works for you. I'd put $20 on you not lasting there more than a month after the appointment goes through, but most of us got burned when we got started and that's how we learned.

I think you should take in everything going on and figure out what you think works for you. I'd put $20 on you not lasting there more than a month after the appointment goes through, but most of us got burned when we got started and that's how we learned.
the thing is in order to be an agent registered in FL you have to have an appointment my porblem is the contract is what is taking so long ..they do a backround check which the state already did and till the insure co approves than I get the wrting number.. wish they would have been more up front on their ways because it has taken a lot of my time and money which is not growing on trees..why hire me only to put me off. It sure isn't a moral booster.

I really don't think 2 weeks is soooooo long. I am quite surprised that so many agents on here are telling you it is. In the past 10 yrs i've found that no two companies processes are the same. Sometimes it takes 3 days (or so) to get appointed, sometimes longer (+10 bus days) and believe it or not sometimes a quick company can take longer unfortunatley you are at the mercy of the person who needs to sign off.

It always take a career company longer to appoint, I don't care what kind of creative name they give your position that is what you are a career agent.
And for that matter that is what I would be more concerned about, not your background check becuase as long as your not incarcerated right now they will appoint you.

Aflac is a tough road and if you've searched them on here you would see that waiting 2 weeks for appointment is the least of your soon to be worries.

I really don't think 2 weeks is soooooo long. I am quite surprised that so many agents on here are telling you it is. In the past 10 yrs i've found that no two companies processes are the same. Sometimes it takes 3 days (or so) to get appointed, sometimes longer (+10 bus days) and believe it or not sometimes a quick company can take longer unfortunatley you are at the mercy of the person who needs to sign off.

It always take a career company longer to appoint, I don't care what kind of creative name they give your position that is what you are a career agent.
And for that matter that is what I would be more concerned about, not your background check becuase as long as your not incarcerated right now they will appoint you.

Aflac is a tough road and if you've searched them on here you would see that waiting 2 weeks for appointment is the least of your soon to be worries.
I do have an appointment(can't get a license without an appointment) just not an okayed contract and a writing number after over two weeks but was showing up every day to learn the ways. Disorganization makes for an uncomfortable time. It kills my hope of having the right job especially since I have worked hard to get my license on very little income. Seems like the policies are beneficial and they have been nice to me but that doesn't pay the bills.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

mabe so but why play these delay games..What should be well known for any new agent and also told to them by the employer is that you should definitely have at least a months worth of bills paid already since they are not willing to work fast enough for you or trust you as they hire you. this all should have been done prior to me spending weeeks working for them without a finished contract. feels like a spiders web..I have confidence in my ability to sell as long as I am not trained one way and told to do it a differeing way, just let me be and see what I can do, with of course at least having the knowledge of the product. We all have our styles and are not robots..

Last edited:
Back