Contractors Policy: Gross Receipts vs Payroll

Jun 14, 2018

1. Ajax77

Ajax77 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does anyone know of any company insuring contractors with gross receipts being the basis of premium? I've searched online and came up empty. I've got a very small subcontractor in mind, no employees and usually no subs himself. He's more of a handyman. Thank you.

Ajax77, Jun 14, 2018
  2. AZDave

AZDave Guru

State:
    Arizona
    No, but I would suggest checking BTIS for this guy. They have a handyperson class that doesn't require ROC licensing.

Good Luck, and welcome to the Forum!

Dave

AZDave, Jun 14, 2018
  3. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    Btis is great. I don't know if they will write it, and if they write in the state you need, I assume Georgia, but CBIC is good too.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Guru

State:
    Arizona
    I doubt if you'll find any underwriter willing to rate a small contractor just on gross receipts. Way too easy to fudge gross receipts and hide cash, especially at the handyman level.

Applying rates to a minimum payroll is a truer measure of the risk and avoids the audit and collection issues usually present at the end of a policy year.

5. Kevin Pitts

Kevin Pitts New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Find a reputable CGL wholesaler.. At the cost of commission.. They will rate on receipts.. also streamlines the audit process.

6. indienoise

indienoise Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    If you are indeed in Georgia, talk to an agent who writes haulers insurance Co. They don't base premium on receipts, but for a true sole proprietor, no employees artisan you can get a GL for as little as about 300 bucks, you won't get any less than that really, and I assume you are looking for someone to base on receipts because he doesn't do that much and needs a pretty low premium...

7. rbadoux

rbadoux Expert

In California at least... Contractor's Shield, and PCIC does it based on gross sales. The rest is based on payroll. There may be some unique programs that can do gross sales rating, but the 2 mentioned above are the most popular ones.

rbadoux, Jul 23, 2018
  8. Ajax77

Ajax77 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for all your comments. I'll file this info away - I'm in GA and the contractor went with someone else, but good info for the future.

Ajax77, Jul 25, 2018