Contractors Policy: Gross Receipts vs Payroll

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:47 AM

1. Ajax77

Ajax77 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does anyone know of any company insuring contractors with gross receipts being the basis of premium? I've searched online and came up empty. I've got a very small subcontractor in mind, no employees and usually no subs himself. He's more of a handyman. Thank you.

2. AZDave

AZDave Guru

State:
    Arizona
    No, but I would suggest checking BTIS for this guy. They have a handyperson class that doesn't require ROC licensing.

Good Luck, and welcome to the Forum!

Dave

Markthebroker likes this.
  3. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    Btis is great. I don't know if they will write it, and if they write in the state you need, I assume Georgia, but CBIC is good too.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Guru

State:
    Arizona
    I doubt if you'll find any underwriter willing to rate a small contractor just on gross receipts. Way too easy to fudge gross receipts and hide cash, especially at the handyman level.

Applying rates to a minimum payroll is a truer measure of the risk and avoids the audit and collection issues usually present at the end of a policy year.

5. Kevin Pitts

Kevin Pitts New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Find a reputable CGL wholesaler.. At the cost of commission.. They will rate on receipts.. also streamlines the audit process.

6. indienoise

indienoise Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    If you are indeed in Georgia, talk to an agent who writes haulers insurance Co. They don't base premium on receipts, but for a true sole proprietor, no employees artisan you can get a GL for as little as about 300 bucks, you won't get any less than that really, and I assume you are looking for someone to base on receipts because he doesn't do that much and needs a pretty low premium...