Copays vs. HSA's....LEt's Get it ON!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes trying to educate the client on a HSA is like beating your head against a wall. They say yes to all the right questions and the end they're like so I have to pay out of pocket for the doctor? and you're like ah yeah.

I normally only pitch the HSA's to Men or older couples. It's just a waste of time for me to pitch an HSA to a single woman, (unless extremely intelligent)or families with children (unless you're talking to the Dad, which is rare).

I don't want to confuse them further and if they feel comfortable on a copay plan then that's what I'll sell them.

Personally HSAs are a no brainer for everyone. It's your chance to bet with the house and I always tell clients insurance companies build big building based on people overpaying for their insurance.

And this works with your wife?

Stop lying. No one is going to believe you understand women.

For that matter, no one is going to believe ANY man understands women. Even Dr. Phil can't figure them out.

HaHa. The saying involving the complexity of understanding women and men is a myth. Simply talk with them and you will understand their thinking.

Nope. Wrong again.

The answer can be found here.

GREAT MOVIE!!!!

The saying involving the complexity of understanding women and men is a myth. Simply talk with them and you will understand their thinking.

The only time I get a chance to talk is when she is asleep.

I do get to answer questions from time to time. Things like:

Does this make my butt look big?

Do you like the red or the blue? What is wrong with the red?

Where do you want to eat tonight, and no, the bedroom is not on the list?

Have you considered reading the directions before starting that?

Don't you think we need a (plumber, electrician, mechanic) to handle that?

Kidding aside, most of my clients are women . . . at least they are the ones making the decision.

And most of my sales involve non-copay plans with about half HSA.

Chances are, if you are pitching to the man in the family you are making the wrong pitch. Women usually control the household budget and make most of the financial decisions.

Guys get to watch sports, burp & scratch. That is the extent of their contribution to the home.

The only time I get a chance to talk is when she is asleep.

I do get to answer questions from time to time. Things like:

Does this make my butt look big?

Do you like the red or the blue? What is wrong with the red?

Where do you want to eat tonight, and no, the bedroom is not on the list?

Have you considered reading the directions before starting that?

Don't you think we need a (plumber, electrician, mechanic) to handle that?

HaHa, thanks for the laugh. I have a remedy for that to help out any men in one of the aforementioned situations.

ANYTIME a woman precedes a question with, "I want to know" or "what do you think." Be prepared.....

I like to answer questions with a question as my plan of attack.

Her:What do you think about this shirt, blouse, hair color, etc.?

Him: Hmmm (scratch your chin). What do you think about the (insert question here).

Her: Well, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda

Him: It sounds like you like the ........

Her: Yes

Him: I agree, it looks GREAT!!!!

done deal, next.....

I believe HSA's are the way to go but if my client does not like it and wants the copay plan...they're getting the copay plan. I can work to help them see the light after a couple of rate increases.

If your client won't bite on the HSA, sell them a copay & move on.

What I do is show them what they want, which is usually a $1000 deductible with copays. The rate knocks their eyes out.

Then I take them to a $2500 deductible or so, something to make the premium more affordable.

Once they agree to the higher deductible I show them a plan with a $2500 deductible, 100% coverage and no copays. The premium is so much less they usually buy.

Less than 10% of the plans I write are copay plans.

I don't know about other states but in CA both Blue Cross and Blue Shield (two different companies) use an aggregate deductible on their HSAs. Thus, it makes ZERO sense to write a husband and wife (no kids) on the same policy. Look at the math:

Individual policy for each person age 55 (Blue Shield HSA 4000 deductible))

Husband: $273
Wife: $273
Total: $546

If I put then on a "subscirber and spouse" plan the deductible rises to $8,000:

Cost: $532

With the above plan, they must reach $8,000 before any benefits kick in. On the first plan each person has his own deductible.

If wife breaks her foot and it cost $6,000... on the first plan she will get 2,000 of benefits. On the second she gets nothing.

For $14 more a month I can cut their deductible in half. I called both BS and BC about this and they just said "Yeah, it's a personal choice." What bullshit!

I told them "And when you try to trick people (the "agregate clasue is in a footnote in 3 pt. type!) you wonder why they hold your company is such low esteem."

Al

Back