Copays vs. HSA's....LEt's Get it ON!!!!!!!!!

Whatever, 1 mill fine in CA for not paying claims.

This was a very small fine for such a huge company. Something tells me that the DOI (prosecution, etc.) didn't have the 'goods' and that Wellpoint had a case (fraud) and that this was the "pay the two dollars" and 'move on' kind of thing instead of protesting and running up huge legal bills. I'm not Wellpoints biggest fan (I write most of my cases with that other blue in this state) but I do believe in fairness and I know there are always two sides to every dispute. To be honest, while I trust the media just a tad more than I trust insurance companies, I recognize that they both have their own agendas.... and both don't alwasy coincide with the public interest.

Al

Wellpoint (Anthem) has been fined in GA too in each of the last 2 or 3 years. Always a slap on the wrist and a promise by them to play nice.

When you are the largest in the state that translates into more premium taxes than any other carrier (and more than all others combined). Since premium taxes drive the coffers of most states coming in first or second in every state, the DOI (or anyone else) really doesn't want to piss off the 800# gorilla.

We are starting to see Anthem exert more influence over BX in this state and it is not consumer or agent friendly.

For those of you who wish to do some research, the Internal Revenue Code Sections 223(a) through 223(h) have the gospel on Health Savings Accounts. Happy reading if you can stay awake. The Code is available at most libraries and the above cited sections are in Volume I of the CCH Internal Revenue Code publication (including all 2006 amendments).:goofy:

K-Dub says
#1 - "2 deductibles, 3 deductible who really cares! The odds of them maxing out the deductibles per family isn't really going to happen!!"

#2 - "By the way I can easily replace an HSA with a Co-Pay plan, and a Co-Pay plan with an HSA! There are techniques that I have picked up that make it an easy sale!! Bring on either one! By the way I have me and my family on an HSA!"

K-Dub, let me start with number #2. I don't get the vibe that you care about the customer, only that you're their agent one way or another. So, you will use whatever technique is necessary to pitch the product that they don't have. Very questionnable ethics K-Dub...Not cool in my opinion if you do that too often. I know we're in sales and all but c'mon man. When I run into an HSA customer, I will often tell them to stay put, especially if they're well into that year's deductible or if that particular HDHP meets their needs. I do this because I believe in this type of program and will willingly walk away from cases that could be sales with the use of various "techniques." Plus, there's the fund itself that they may have contributed to already and now I'm going to come around with some "technique" to uproot a good health plan strategy with a plan that has tripple the potential OOP simply because you say.....#1?

We're in the business of protecting our clients from major risk. 15K worth of OOP versus 5K of OOP just so that they can have precious, overrated copay on office visits is bad advice in my opinion. Just my opinion. Some here agree, some don't. I think deep down you know I'm correct. Hence your choice of family plan.

I came up with the split hsa on husband and wife to cut risk years ago and researching the down side was this rule of one hsa account per family....call assurant and ask....maybe it changed over the years.....

STI - "but you can only open one hsa account per family and only use ONE POLICY TO FUND AND SPEND ON ONE MEMBER..."

Please clarify what you mean?

Spousal HSAs are allowed. Each person person that is 55 can open a separate HSA and contribute $2850 and then the catch up amount.

In a family HSA, the policy holder can contribute the $5650 and use those funds to pay for OOP expenses for family members that are not even on an HSA compatible policy. I may be misunderstanding you post...

Spousal HSAs are allowed. Each person person that is 55 can open a separate HSA and contribute $2850 and then the catch up amount.

In a family HSA, the policy holder can contribute the $5650 and use those funds to pay for OOP expenses for family members that are not even on an HSA compatible policy. I may be misunderstanding you post...

Please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is even if both spouses have separate plans, the TOTAL they could put into the HSA is $2,850.

Am I understanding that if there are separate plans, EACH can contribute the maximum individual amount for a TOTAL of $5,700?

Rick

I came up with the split hsa on husband and wife to cut risk years ago and researching the down side was this rule of one hsa account per family....call assurant and ask....maybe it changed over the years.....

Where are you finding that rule? That HSA legislation states that a family can contribute $5,000+ per year. I see nothing written in any HSA law that states husband and wife cannot both have individual HSAs with accounts.

Now, if that's an insurance company rule then just have husband and wife open their own HSA accounts with a 3rd party admin.

Where are you finding that rule? That HSA legislation states that a family can contribute $5,000+ per year.

like I said John it has been years ago when I came across this.....1 hsa account per family.....because it was assumed that a husb and wife would apply together and be on the same policy.....I trully hope this is still not the case...John call assurant...they do both account and policy.....

Latest posts

Back