Coventry Medicare Advantage - Non Payment of New Commissions

cadylou

Guru
100+ Post Club
Coventry has said they are waiting for a "list from CMS" indicating which of the sales we've made are "new" sales so that they can pay the $200 true up amount for sales to clients that are new to medicare advantage.

So far, no payment & no indication from them as to when this might occur. Does anyone out there know anything? When you call Coventry here in Kansas City to ask about this all you get is a "non-answer" and an annoyed tone - as if you're not supposed to ask about this.

Even if a "mystery list" from CMS did exist, how often will it be published? Sales are ongoing & now it's 2nd quarter 2009. We've not been paid for new sales from last year yet.

Also, if anyone knows - is there a dept at medicare or at CMS where an agent can call to find out what's happening? I'd love to have a contact to call there regarding non-payment of commissions to agents.

Any information from agents out there would be appreciated.

Coventry has said they are waiting for a "list from CMS" indicating which of the sales we've made are "new" sales so that they can pay the $200 true up amount for sales to clients that are new to medicare advantage.

So far, no payment & no indication from them as to when this might occur. Does anyone out there know anything? When you call Coventry here in Kansas City to ask about this all you get is a "non-answer" and an annoyed tone - as if you're not supposed to ask about this.

Even if a "mystery list" from CMS did exist, how often will it be published? Sales are ongoing & now it's 2nd quarter 2009. We've not been paid for new sales from last year yet.

Also, if anyone knows - is there a dept at medicare or at CMS where an agent can call to find out what's happening? I'd love to have a contact to call there regarding non-payment of commissions to agents.

Any information from agents out there would be appreciated.

I copied this from another post here on the forum;

I sent the following question to CMS on 4/10/09
Are insurance companies required to wait for verification from CMS in order to release initial year compensation to agents? It is my understanding that CMS knows whether or not a beneficiary is enrolled in another plan at the time of enrollment since they are automatically dis-enrolled if they enroll in another plan.If some other kind of verification is needed when will this take place so that agents can be fairly compensated for their work?
Here's the response for allit means to us agents;:
We understand your concern and have worked to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. On April 28th, we will be releasing to the plans the compensation reports identifying the enrollments that should be paid at the initial compensation rates for January 1, 2009. We will release the reports for February, March, April immediately following the January report as they are generated. By June, we should be on schedule to release the remaining reports at the end of the respective months that they cover. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience during this time.

Thank you

And this;

The Insurance companies have already been payed.....and they DON'T have to wait to pay first year, matter of fact CMS suggest they make "preliminary payments and then adjust payments as necessary." as stated in:

"CMS Re-Issues Draft 2010 Medicare Advantage, Prescription Drug Plan and Health Plan Call Letter"

Payment of Agents for Enrollments in 2009. In 2009 MAOs and Part D sponsors are required to pay agents and brokers at the renewal commission rates unless the enrollee is newly entitled or enrolled from original Medicare. In the preamble to the November 14, 2008 interim final rule, CMS stated that it will run a report identifying those beneficiaries enrolled in an MA or Prescription Drug plan who were newly entitled or enrolled from original Medicare to determine which agents are entitled to the initial compensation amount.10 CMS has received questions concerning whether MAOs and Part D sponsors may withhold payments to agents and brokers until this report is released. MAOs and Part D sponsors are not required to withhold payment and CMS suggests that MAOs and Part D sponsors make preliminary payments and then adjust payments as necessary.
So call your companies and when they give you the line "waiting on CMS to release" refer to this CMS statement.
Next we need the numbers of regional directors and up....cell numbers would be a trip,lol...i'm sure a few of you have them,lol......
Ps. sorry about the text size.....

ok, so I guess Coventry just plans to not pay us. I'd heard that they'd gotten notification that they could release the funds but are choosing not to - using the excuse that if they make a mistake they'll be fined.

Maybe I can get someone from the state dept of insurance to give us some insights on what we can do about this. Also, I wondered if we can write off the non-realized commissions as a business loss on taxes. Do you know? I need to ask my CPA.

Did you read the response? The list is being sent from CMS April 28 to the insurance companies, and after that we should be paid.

Your interpretation may be different, and you are obviously pissed off, but I think we should expect payment the first part of May for the balances.

ok Patch - but you must know that we've continually been told NOTHING. Every time we ask, it goes into the non-communcation black hole. Not sure how long you've been in business - but non-communication usually bodes ill for payments of anything. I'm with Agent Orange - I don't count on anything with the govt to be on time.

Also, My understanding is that they are able to release the funds if they want to. They could easily release the true up for people who were new to medicare and for those rolling off of employer based groups. at least that would show good faith & a willingness to pay agents for work done long ago.

it's the 20th after close of business - I'll say I'm wrong publicly on the board if next Tuesday we get notification that they 'GOT THE LIST'.

ok, so I guess Coventry just plans to not pay us. I'd heard that they'd gotten notification that they could release the funds but are choosing not to - using the excuse that if they make a mistake they'll be fined.

Maybe I can get someone from the state dept of insurance to give us some insights on what we can do about this. Also, I wondered if we can write off the non-realized commissions as a business loss on taxes. Do you know? I need to ask my CPA.

If you've already paid taxes on money you haven't recieved yet, I suggest you find a NEW CPA.

I sell their Part D Value Plan.

The 28th is what CMS said in response to the question, so I hope we see payment within a few days after that. The computers have to crunch the data and spew the checks out, which will take a couple days. As I understand it, it is not just Coventry, but all the MA's

Back