Coventry One

I can't speak about TX, but I will share what I know about Coventry here in GA. Some of it may apply, some not.

They came here last spring and made a big splash. Lot's of bells & whistles in their packaged copay plans with $20 unlimited doc visits, dental (DHMO) and vision. Low rates, "cheater" underwriting (at least for the first 90 days or so) and higher commissions than Blue (who seems to be their favorite target).

After the preliminary dating period they got religion and started declining upwards of 40% of apps. Most of the rest had rate ups or riders or both.

Today they still suffer from schizophrenic underwriting and what has got to be the worst customer service of any company I know.

Yet they still have a lot of sex appeal to the public.

At least one agency here is probably spending $10,000 a week (highly subsidized I suspect) on fillers in the Sunday paper, mailers, etc. You can't swing a cat by the tail without hitting a Coventry ad somewhere.

They approve a lady with breast cancer and then 4 years later, brain cancer but decline a guy who was injured in a motorcycle accident a year ago but had full recovery.

They are a reckless and dangerous carrier in my opinion but one you have to deal with whether you like it or not. I finally chucked them after having so many frustrating times in underwriting and even more trying to settle billing and claims issues.

They are still the carrier to beat on paper but a bottom of the barrel carrier when the rubber meets the road.

Back