Coventry: The good, bad and ugly

policy doctor

Guru
1000 Post Club
I rarely see anyone posting about this co, other than the commis and my old thread about their mishandling of a drug reimbursement...which they continue to deny payment.

Is anyone producing for this co, and if so, what is your satisfaction level and have you encountered any problems?

I think we will all be better served understanding the inner working of a carrier.

And I resent companies that compete with me for the business, like Coventry does, when you try to do a phone enrollment. Please don't.

Individual or group?

I haven't done any group business with them. They are a new entrant into GA for individual coverage. While they made a big splash at first they have cooled off considerably.

Phone enrollment? What phone enrollment? They are still relegated to paper apps which is at best a tedious process. They entered GA in April and are now on their third app revision.

Not a good sign.

Customer service so far is atrocious. Agent service is dysmal.

Want more?

Gosh darn....you are referring to their POS major medical. I was thinking of picking that up but thanks for feedback.

Nope, I was centering on the Medicare advantage side. I swear they have 10,000 phone numbers for different departments, and nobody knows anything. They only know their bit part...you know, like an assembly line worker, and anything else you get another phone number.

No one is ever accountable for ANYTHING. And DO NOT phone in your apps....license to steal. Oh yeah, no online enrollments either....either way you WILL NOT be paid. Fax in apps only. Now, where is the company directive stating this?

I'm on a rant, so why quit now, right?

If you fax in apps, you have to wait 72 hrs or longer, before it is entered into the system. However, phone enrollment gets policy issued within a couple days..(no commis to you)..but your faxed in app gets scanned, posted, whatever else, before finally processed, so look at a week or longer turnaround.

And God forbid your complete app doesn't fax in....no one calls to tell you there are missing pages. Co X will. So be sure to verify that everything went in....a few days later.

And i don't like having to repeat my SS# everytime I call in, plus use that as my agent number. Why can't they issue me a separate number? Like Co X.

When all works well....you get paid within 2 weeks.

And i don't like having to repeat my SS# everytime I call in, plus use that as my agent number. Why can't they issue me a separate number? Like Co X.

I agree! Now, I am assuming you are talking about the PFFS division. I have a different agent number under the HMO/PPO division. It does bother me that the PFFS people work so differently, including training and certification.... and they are both MAs! One has to view them as two separate companies using the same name.

I rarely see anyone posting about this co, other than the commis and my old thread about their mishandling of a drug reimbursement...which they continue to deny payment.

Is anyone producing for this co, and if so, what is your satisfaction level and have you encountered any problems?

I think we will all be better served understanding the inner working of a carrier.

And I resent companies that compete with me for the business, like Coventry does, when you try to do a phone enrollment. Please don't.

The only thing I heard about this company during the 2007 enrollment period was coming across agents doing the kinds of things that resulted in the moratorium, some of it really stupid stuff like not enrolling the client in a PDP, apparently not being aware that their plan was MA only. But I'm sure people have similar stories about all carriers.

I'm on a rant, so why quit now, right?

If you fax in apps, you have to wait 72 hrs or longer, before it is entered into the system. However, phone enrollment gets policy issued within a couple days..(no commis to you)..but your faxed in app gets scanned, posted, whatever else, before finally processed, so look at a week or longer turnaround.

And God forbid your complete app doesn't fax in....no one calls to tell you there are missing pages. Co X will. So be sure to verify that everything went in....a few days later.

When all works well....you get paid within 2 weeks.

Having to use the SS# on the app (either on the phone or written if not done electronically) was something I didn't like with Humana either, especially since you also have an agent number. One of my Supp. companies is like that too, I'm thinking it's United World.

I will say that Coventry in Kansas City is on the rise.

Their plan is the lowest cost ($0 premium) and has the largest hospital network. If they have another AEP like they did last year, then they will dethrone Humana as the largest MA insurer in the KC Market.

But, they do not push the PFFS here, only the local PPO plan.

Overall, Coventry did better then other MA carriers.

I also despise a carrier who has no respect for their agent's privacy by making us use our SS#. They kept promising to generate a unique number -- but, always failed to follow through.

They had the best supply order system. But, failed to update their agent site and they really had poor agent communications.

The thing with Covy was that they reluctantly adopted us independent agents. They wanted the business -- but, not the independent agent. They even went with the BankersLife captives. And, I also had cases stolen by their call center.

It was very clear that they had no lead marketing support. They could have produced much better sales numbers if they just gave us a few more tools to work with. The few direct marketing pieces posted on their website never went through CMS for approval because Covy claimed they were "generic". Seems like the states could have fined Covy for their lack of "generic":policeman: compliance.

My experience with them is that they do a lot of things WRONG... And I will no longer place anymore of my clients with them Part D or MA... In my opinion they don't get it... Or about there just ***'s!!!!

Back