Coverage Liklihood: Wall Damage from Home Leveling

WoodyWindy

I recently purchased an older (~1900) home. I had some repairs done to our foundation which involved replacing rotted support columns, jacking-up low spots, and over-all leveling. In the course of this, we expected some door alignment issues and even some plaster cracking, but what happened to the walls was beyond what we had anticipated.

What are the chances of the damage to the walls being covered under our standard homeowners policy?

Somewhere between extremely unlikely and non-existent. Insurance is supposed to cover things that are sudden and unexpected, not the result of home repairs that went awry.

Read your policy. See what it says about faulty workmanship (if this WAS "faulty" workmanship), settling, cracking, etc. Chances are, it's not covered, but that's not always true. Regardless, having a claim of this type, even in the longshot that it's covered, would be a red flag on renewal or when moving your account. Be sure to check for other issues like water line damage.

I would reread your contract with the company that handled the foundation repairs. I would also look into what is "typical" when having these kinds of repairs done.

You are more likely to be able to pursue a claim against the contractor. Although that is a long shot too. As you said, a certain amount is to be expected. What you consider excessive may simply be normal if extensive leveling was required.

Back