Coverage/quote Needed for Rental in Ohio

CFP83

Guru
100+ Post Club
Thanks in advance for your reply, and feel free to PM me of course.

I have several dozen rentals myself but I have them on a unique deal with Westfield insurance. It is one policy, built like a commercial policy, and according to my broker who does a lot of premium through Westfield, he stated that they do not really insurer rentals....however since ours were all newly rehabbed they were willing to make an exception.

The reason for this thread though is that I have a close family member who has a tri-plex here in Ohio they just purchased......it seems that American Modern is a player in this space in Ohio, along with Travelers and Wayne Mutual. Again, outside of my relationship with Westfield I am unfamiliar of who would be the best bet for a 1 or two rentals.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help out.

For my rental I use State Farm, they have the cheapest pricing, and take a ton of the homes that have knob and tube wiring found throughout Ohio.

Not many insurers will take that anymore..

That is good to know. I work with low income first time home buyers and had a knob and tube last year I couldn't put anywhere. I started calling other agencies and everyone said no. Travelers refused but supposedly they said yes to an independent agency and at 30% of what my price was before she "remembered" the knob and tube. It was not the primary source, the electrician stated he didn't think it was running anything but it was all still "live". I would have saved her a lot of time if I had known SF would cover it. Plus I am super doubtful this IA even wrote it correctly. An 1895 home with knob and tube for $600 a year..ok. Although the bile will rise in my throat to recommend SF, I will in this one case.

That is good to know. I work with low income first time home buyers and had a knob and tube last year I couldn't put anywhere. I started calling other agencies and everyone said no. Travelers refused but supposedly they said yes to an independent agency and at 30% of what my price was before she "remembered" the knob and tube. It was not the primary source, the electrician stated he didn't think it was running anything but it was all still "live". I would have saved her a lot of time if I had known SF would cover it. Plus I am super doubtful this IA even wrote it correctly. An 1895 home with knob and tube for $600 a year..ok. Although the bile will rise in my throat to recommend SF, I will in this one case.

I am not a big fan of the company either, but they have their niche. Plus SF had the lowest modifier for credit score - which could cause premiums to be 300% more with some companies.

For my rental I use State Farm, they have the cheapest pricing, and take a ton of the homes that have knob and tube wiring found throughout Ohio.

Not many insurers will take that anymore..

Will SF also take that for homeowners?

I have a neighbor that has been on the Fair Plan for years because he couldn't find anyone to insure knob and tube.

Back