Covering Work Related Injuries - Special Occupations

Aug 14, 2007

1. ajtour42

ajtour42 Expert

Hi, all -

I remember a thread from last week discussed coverage of work related injuries. Here's a specific question regarding that topic:

I have a client who is a self-employed farrier (blacksmith). American Community accepted him, but ridered any injuries incurred on the job. Does anyone know of a carrier who will cover such work-related claims in that profession? Or, should he take this independent health policy and then buy workman's comp coverage on himself?

Thanks in advance!

ajtour42, Aug 14, 2007
  2. STIBROKER

STIBROKER Like My post and enter the DRAWING,,,, Moderator

State:
    Texas
    what state...........

3. ajtour42

ajtour42 Expert

Ohio!

ajtour42, Aug 14, 2007
  4. TXINSURANCE

TXINSURANCE Guru

I thought Anthem covered on / off the job in Ohio or was it Aetna???? They might file with workers comp first , unless of course it doesn't exist.

I could be wrong but I thought Anthem or Aetna covered on / off the job in OH.

You might also want to consider selling him a CI (critical illness) plan based on his occupation - PM me if you want some ideas... Not trying to sell you anything but based on a one man deal this guy would be in big trouble with a injury not only with medical bills but loss of $$$ or insurability.

5. somarco

somarco That Medicare Expert Guy

State:
    Georgia
    TX, how will a CI policy protect a SBO in the event of an injury?

somarco, Aug 15, 2007
  6. K-Dub

K-Dub Super Genius

You just cross your fingers and hope your accident is from the result of a heart attack or stroke! :)

K-Dub, Aug 15, 2007
  7. arnguy

arnguy Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Workers Compensation laws vary from state to state. In PA, one must have an employee to purchase WC. A self-employed individual cannot purchase WC. Of course, the rule may be different in OH. CI may work.

arnguy, Aug 15, 2007
  8. ajtour42

ajtour42 Expert

Thanks for the tips! I'll call Anthem and Aetna Thursday for clarification and report back for future reference . . .

ajtour42, Aug 16, 2007
  9. TXINSURANCE

TXINSURANCE Guru

I love Texas were Workers Comp here is 100% OPTIONAL

Gotta love Texas!

10. ajtour42

ajtour42 Expert

Okay, I'm reporting back!

Aetna doesn't rate or rider for occupations at all. They have 24/7 coverage, and if the insured doesn't carry workers comp, Aetna pays.

Medical Mutual of Ohio doesn't rate or rider for occupations, but, and I quote, "If we see that it's becoming a problem where every claim they have is a result of an on-the-job accident, we'll look into it."

Assurant couldn't give me a straight answer. I called twice and spoke with different people and got ambiguous answers from both of them. Basically, "Well, just go ahead and put the application through and we'll see what happens." That's not a valid answer, IMHO.

Anyway, thanks for your tips. Hopefully, we'll get this knocked out through Aetna!