Covering Work Related Injuries - Special Occupations

ajtour42

Expert
Hi, all -

I remember a thread from last week discussed coverage of work related injuries. Here's a specific question regarding that topic:

I have a client who is a self-employed farrier (blacksmith). American Community accepted him, but ridered any injuries incurred on the job. Does anyone know of a carrier who will cover such work-related claims in that profession? Or, should he take this independent health policy and then buy workman's comp coverage on himself?

Thanks in advance!

I thought Anthem covered on / off the job in Ohio or was it Aetna???? They might file with workers comp first , unless of course it doesn't exist.

I could be wrong but I thought Anthem or Aetna covered on / off the job in OH.

You might also want to consider selling him a CI (critical illness) plan based on his occupation - PM me if you want some ideas... Not trying to sell you anything but based on a one man deal this guy would be in big trouble with a injury not only with medical bills but loss of $$$ or insurability.

Workers Compensation laws vary from state to state. In PA, one must have an employee to purchase WC. A self-employed individual cannot purchase WC. Of course, the rule may be different in OH. CI may work.

Thanks for the tips! I'll call Anthem and Aetna Thursday for clarification and report back for future reference . . .

Okay, I'm reporting back!

Aetna doesn't rate or rider for occupations at all. They have 24/7 coverage, and if the insured doesn't carry workers comp, Aetna pays.

Medical Mutual of Ohio doesn't rate or rider for occupations, but, and I quote, "If we see that it's becoming a problem where every claim they have is a result of an on-the-job accident, we'll look into it."

Assurant couldn't give me a straight answer. I called twice and spoke with different people and got ambiguous answers from both of them. Basically, "Well, just go ahead and put the application through and we'll see what happens." That's not a valid answer, IMHO.

Anyway, thanks for your tips. Hopefully, we'll get this knocked out through Aetna!

Back