Crazy Situation

Mavrik

Guru
100+ Post Club
I live in Florida, a no fault state, and I dropped my 3 year old Tahoe off at the Chevrolet dealer to get the A/C checked. They had a bad fire last night. My vehicle was one of about 10 that were severely damaged and I have no idea how this will play out or what options I will have when the insurance companies figure this out. I don't think I have a rental car rider on my policy. Is it my auto policy that pays or the dealer's property and casualty? Should I be calling the dealership to provide me with a loaner/rental since it was their fault? And am I going to get screwed with a check that isn't nearly equal to the amount that it will cost to replace my Tahoe?

What makes you think the fire was the dealer's fault? Do you know how it happened?

If it is not the dealer's fault then you get nothing from the dealer and you look to your own car insurance for the loss.

There is no way to predict whether you'll be happy with the ACV settlement of your claim. You'll be out your deductible and the payment might not be enough to cover the balance of your loan if you have a loan. Anything can happen.

I suggest, however, that you make the claim on your own policy if you want to get this settled quickly. Otherwise you could be months without a car.

Thanks - I've got a gut feeling this is going to cost me a bunch of money and major inconvenience and I can't even blame my own stupidity for causing it.

I write a lot of garagekeepers policies. If the dealer had a direct primary policy properly written in place, their insurance will cover it. If the dealer had a legal liability policy in place, then their insurance would cover it ONLY if it was their fault.

In the future if you have an auto loan make sure that the finance company or bank has included Gap or loan/lease coverage on the loan or make sure your own auto policy has it. My daughter had a new car totaled and had she not had the coverage she would of owed an additional 4k on the totaled car. That optional coverage was $14 for the year.

I write a lot of garagekeepers policies. If the dealer had a direct primary policy properly written in place, their insurance will cover it. If the dealer had a legal liability policy in place, then their insurance would cover it ONLY if it was their fault.

Are you familiar with the requirements for a franchise dealership? I have none, but my gut says they are probably required to have a direct primary policy. I can't imagine a manufacturer being very happy if ten cars in for warranty work go up in smoke because of a fire.

Mavrik, I would first contact the dealership and see what they are going to do. Remember, it is a dealership, they may simply provide you a loaner until your vehicle is repaired or if it is a total loss, until you can purchase a replacement.

You may need to file on your policy, you may not. But my first call would be to the dealership and go from there.

Are you familiar with the requirements for a franchise dealership? I have none, but my gut says they are probably required to have a direct primary policy. I can't imagine a manufacturer being very happy if ten cars in for warranty work go up in smoke because of a fire.

Mavrik, I would first contact the dealership and see what they are going to do. Remember, it is a dealership, they may simply provide you a loaner until your vehicle is repaired or if it is a total loss, until you can purchase a replacement.

You may need to file on your policy, you may not. But my first call would be to the dealership and go from there.

Less than a third of dealerships have their repair shop properly covered. The policy being properly written has to depend on the car dealership providing accurate, honest, and complete information. And, well, they are car salesman, so do the math.

Less than a third of dealerships have their repair shop properly covered. The policy being properly written has to depend on the car dealership providing accurate, honest, and complete information. And, well, they are car salesman, so do the math.

I hear you. I know of a guy who specializes in dealerships and it is a constant battle he faces.

I used to do franchised auto dealers only. Universal Underwriters, before they became whatever they are now. It has been a while, but Garage keepers has three levels of coverage, DIRECT PRIMARY, EXCESS, AND LEGAL LIABILITY.

DIRECT PRIMARY should pay regardless of fault, if the vehicle was in their care, custody and control.

EXCESS should pay but only in the second position to your insurance.

LEGAL LIABILITY. (aka GKLL) means dealer pays only if the vehicle was in their care, custody and control. and the damage is their fault.

One other post had it right. Just ask the dealer for a shop loaner while this is sorted out.

Back