Credit Card LDW Vs Personal Auto Insurance

ukay1705

I recently rented a car for a week and I hit a small post while making a U-Turn causing minor damages to the car.
I have to return the car tomorrow and unfortunately I did not purchase the insurance from the rental company. The credit card i used for rental comes with LDW. I also have personal auto insurance. Which one should I go for ?

I recently rented a car for a week and I hit a small post while making a U-Turn causing minor damages to the car.
I have to return the car tomorrow and unfortunately I did not purchase the insurance from the rental company. The credit card i used for rental comes with LDW. I also have personal auto insurance. Which one should I go for ?

What credit card company? I've been trying to find one that has that.

What credit card company? I've been trying to find one that has that.

I believe that Amex has the best one out there. It is primary, versus secondary. Just $24.95 for the entire rental, not just per day.

American Express is good for this type of situation. If you own a vehicle, check your options that may exist on your own policy. Deductibles obviously apply...

Actually, the AMEX coverage cited above is their optional premium coverage. AMEX also has a more limited that comes at no charge as long as you rent with the card.

I did a blog article on rental car coverages, this description comes from that article:

American Express now offers their Premium Rental Car Protection on many of their cards. This is a feature that you can add to your card at no cost; however you are charged a fee each time you rent a car. Depending on the product and state, this charge ranges from about $15 to $25 per rental. Note that I said per rental, NOT per day. The one charge will provide coverage on the rental car for the entire time you rent it, up to 42 days for any single rental. In California the coverage costs $18 per rental and will cover you up to that 42 day limit. Considering all of the different coverage included: Physical damage up to $100,000 (including loss of use but not diminished value), AD&D, medical payments and limited coverage for personal belongings. This can prove to be an exceptional value, particularly on longer rental periods. One additional thing that is appealing about this option is that the physical damage coverage is primary to all other coverage, meaning you likely would not have to involve your insurance company at all which means you would not have to pay your deductible. Personally, I carry this on my Amex and would recommend it to anyone looking to rent a car.

Actually, the AMEX coverage cited above is their optional premium coverage. AMEX also has a more limited that comes at no charge as long as you rent with the card.

I did a blog article on rental car coverages, this description comes from that article:

American Express now offers their Premium Rental Car Protection on many of their cards. This is a feature that you can add to your card at no cost; however you are charged a fee each time you rent a car. Depending on the product and state, this charge ranges from about $15 to $25 per rental. Note that I said per rental, NOT per day. The one charge will provide coverage on the rental car for the entire time you rent it, up to 42 days for any single rental. In California the coverage costs $18 per rental and will cover you up to that 42 day limit. Considering all of the different coverage included: Physical damage up to $100,000 (including loss of use but not diminished value), AD&D, medical payments and limited coverage for personal belongings. This can prove to be an exceptional value, particularly on longer rental periods. One additional thing that is appealing about this option is that the physical damage coverage is primary to all other coverage, meaning you likely would not have to involve your insurance company at all which means you would not have to pay your deductible. Personally, I carry this on my Amex and would recommend it to anyone looking to rent a car.

Yep. If you have an Amex, it is a no-brainer to add this option. It has to be one of the best add-ons I have ever seen on a credit card.

Even better, if you get the Costco one, the card is free. Yes, you don't get all the reward options of a traditional Amex, but there is no membership fee either.

The card we have is the Costco AMEX Business card and it actually has pretty decent rewards to it, though strictly in the form of cash, no real options like you said. More to the point it is a check that you have to take to Costco to cash. And like you said, no AMEX card fee, just our Costco membership which we would have anyway.

Back