"CRIMINAL BACKGROUND" Check Process in California & Brokers Licensing W/ EXPUNGEMENT for DUI

crisfamplus1

Please advise: Unfortunately, I have blemished my life with a DUI over two years ago. Since then, I have been dismissed from probation and was granted an expungement. Not to make light of the offense or mis-judgement, I have been haunted by this event and has been impossible to move forward.

The expungement was supposed to help with employment, however, if I am understanding correctly under CA Penal Code 1203.4, I am obligated to disclose this arrest for any type of state licensing purposes.

Can anyone please advise as to the processing of a BACKGROUND CHECK and issuing of brokers license in California with a DUI on the record?

I am very concerned and do not want to chance denial... according to what I have read, background check "DENIALS" are publicly reported on the web site for 10 years.

More importantly, considering the power of the internet and "Google"... if denied, that will be one more thing to come up on-line in the future and not in a good way. It seems the punishment keeps on coming and has been the biggest mistake of my life... I am only human and trying to move forward.

Thank you...

You know, the staffers at the DOI don't bite. I can't speak to California, but in most states they are very friendly and helpful.

Instead of letting random strangers guess at what will happen, call up the people who actually decide and ask them.

Hi... Thank you for answering. I may have misunderstood what I read however, I didn't think they were allowed to answer these specific questions. As I understood, you have to "roll the dice" & apply.

I will give it a try however, hoped someone out there may have been through this process with similar profile and would be able to advise.

----------

ADDITIONAL QUESTION RE; BACKGROUND CHECK:

Does anyone know many years the background check covers? I have looked on-line and was referred to a "RAP" SHEET HISTORY but, cannot conclusively confirm how many years it includes. 10 years or lifetime?

Thanks

Florida guy here. I'd listen to Vol. A few years ago when I went to get licensed I had a couple blemishes on my record and even came to this very forum to get advice and I got ALL kinds of advice. Some good, some bad, some helpful, and one downright a-hole response. I ended up calling the DOI in my state, explained the situation and after jumping thru a few hoops I was successfully licensed.

Do yourself a favor and make the call so you can hear it straight from the "horses mouth". Good luck!

Thank you & I will be calling first thing tomorrow!! I appreciate the support & advice... it has been a tough road for sure

Florida guy here. I'd listen to Vol. A few years ago when I went to get licensed I had a couple blemishes on my record and even came to this very forum to get advice and I got ALL kinds of advice. Some good, some bad, some helpful, and one downright a-hole response. I ended up calling the DOI in my state, explained the situation and after jumping thru a few hoops I was successfully licensed.

Do yourself a favor and make the call so you can hear it straight from the "horses mouth". Good luck!

And looking back on it now would you say the ahole response was extremely tame form of preperation for dealing with prospecting rejection?

Was that the child support thread? I seem to recall thinking they would give you a hard time. As I recall, the DOI was very helpful. And that is why I gave the advice I did on this thread. We can speculate all we want on this forum, but ultimately it is the call of the DOI.

To the OP, it may be their policy to "apply and see", but usually if you ask they will pretty much give you the answer. The key is to be courteous and polite to the staffers and also to be clear in your questions. Don't make them try to guess, lay out your exact situation. Also, ask for their help. Usually there is someone who wants to be helpful and will give you good advice even if it is against their policy.

Calling the DOI is a good step.

I do believe you are correct though, you have to report it on the license form even though its expunged.

At the same time, I don't think a DUI will stop you from getting an insurance license, as long as its been taken care of. They are more concerned about fraud type of crimes. I can't speak with 'authority' on this, just from what I've seen happen over the years.

Call and ask, then go ahead and process the license request. I do wish expungement in CA meant what it means in most states, but it doesn't seem to be the same here.

Dan

Back