Critical Illness Rider

What types of Illnesses are covered under a critical illness rider?

I am aware of the usuals like coma, cancer, kidney failure.

Would appendicitis, tonsillitis or pneumonia be be considered critical?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

As previously replied the answer is no....And everyones riders and policies are different when it comes to things like Critical Illness The brochure will tell you what is and is not covered.

Don't sell a critical illness rider. Sell a Critical Illness stand-alone plan with the health policy. You'll be paid better commissions and the policy will still be there, paying commissions long after the insured has moved on to another health insurance policy. In addition, I often get people who are declined for the major medical policy, get approved for the stand-alone Critical Illness plan. It's all about diversifying. Especially post HealthCareReform.
-AC

Don't sell a critical illness rider. Sell a Critical Illness stand-alone plan with the health policy. You'll be paid better commissions and the policy will still be there, paying commissions long after the insured has moved on to another health insurance policy. In addition, I often get people who are declined for the major medical policy, get approved for the stand-alone Critical Illness plan. It's all about diversifying. Especially post HealthCareReform.
-AC

Good point and I wasn't even talking about the commission as I was about the Rider. Get them insured in a quality plan now and lock it in because riders on things like Term Life or Health...We all know people will be purchasing other Health and Life policies down the road.

personally I think anything that warrants admission to the ER is critical and thus should be covered

I remember when Critical Illness policies were called "Dreaded Illness" policies.

I had my gallbladder removed a couple months ago, while not fun---it's not a "dreaded disease".

I remember when Critical Illness policies were called "Dreaded Illness" policies.

I had my gallbladder removed a couple months ago, while not fun---it's not a "dreaded disease".

Stepping on a nail should count, too!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
personally I think anything that warrants admission to the ER is critical and thus should be covered

It would be a good idea to pay a small amount or a percentage for an ER visit. My daughter was thrown off a jet ski last year and required emergency surgery to repair a nasty cut. Three days later, we hit our $5,000 deductible and the Ci policy didn't cover this, of course.

Would been handy if it had.

Last edited:
My daughter was thrown off a jet ski last year and required emergency surgery to repair a nasty cut. Three days later, we hit our $5,000 deductible and the Ci policy didn't cover this

She should have had an accident plan, perhaps as a rider to her major med or even stand alone.

And a dental plan in case she lost some teeth in the accident.

And an AD&D plan in case she lost a limb or died in the accident.

Back