Critical Illness Sales Strategies

gregger

Expert
Hi all, I posted this thread here because I am thinking LI salespeople are probably the most likely to also be selling CII.

I'm a very experienced life sales guy myself but I realize I need to be selling CII and I've never marketed it or really had a strategy in place to start selling more policies.

I'm thinking of bringing this product up during meetings with prospective clients in the hopes of selling them on the idea of comprehensive coverage instead of just LI alone. I am not going to be asking them if they know anyone who has had a heart attack or a cancer....so please don't suggest that. I'm new with CI but even I know thats dumb. I'd sooner say something like "We all know someone, whether they be a relative, or a friend, or even a friend of a friend who has suffered a heart attack, or been diagnosed with cancer......". I think thats a safe statement and it's highly unlikely to be refuted.

Anyways.....whats been working for you out there? How are you getting your clients to buy CII ??

Thanks for all your help!!

Hi all, I posted this thread here because I am thinking LI salespeople are probably the most likely to also be selling CII.

Anyways.....whats been working for you out there? How are you getting your clients to buy CII ??

Thanks for all your help!!

I never sold a CI policy until I focused on health insurance. Not saying that you can't or won't, but I didn't develop an effective approach, until I was familiar with their health coverage.

One of the BGAs that I use for life has a couple of CI policies in their portfolio, and they tell me that I'm the only agent that sells them regularly. Now, it's kind of strange to me that it is coupled with life.

Colorado Bankers offered their plan as a rider to a term insurance policy. Probably a few others. Don't know any more who does stand alone, who offers as a rider.

I'm a captive agent and I know we don't sell any CII as a rider on a life policy. I think it would be a good idea though.

I'm just looking for how people are closing CII sales. Not many people in our office do good CII numbers or I would ask them how they are doing it, lol.

Seems that you could sell it as a life rider easier telling the client "this is death benefit for them, and expense replacement for A, B and C for you."

I already said our co. doesn't sell CII as a rider on a life policy so why are you suggesting this as an idea....? lol
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Wow.......this has been helpful. Thanks everyone......

Last edited:
One of my strategies lately has been a HDHP with low premiums and a CI plan that pays out $15-25k. The out of pocket on the health plan is paid at about $5k and the member pockets $10-20k for travel to and from hospital and covering expenses from being out of work. Mutual of Omaha has a solid plan with low premiums.

Back