Critique My Job Posting

curly212

Expert
I want to hire a commission based P&C producer. I don't want to waste time with people who have been told by other job postings that they can make 50+ first year. I thought I'd try the most direct, honest (as I see it) job posting. I put this job posting on Craigslist:

Subject line: "Who does your insurance?"

Inside message:
If this is a question you can ask people, you can have a successful career as an insurance agent. This is an opportunity to sell auto, home and business insurance products to everyone you know and everyone you meet and be compensated year after year after year. But becoming wealthy through an insurance career means long-term commitment, so be able to make somewhere in the area of $25,000- $30,000 first year commissions. We will give you the opportunity to offer your prospects the best insurance products in the industry in terms of ease and pricing. You will have insurance products that very few competitors have and almost all of them want. Your share of the commission you keep will be larger than you will receive in any similar position. This is a commission based position.

Insurance experience is not mandatory but you must have the desire to offer your services to friends, family and people you meet. If you do not have a current P&C license you will need to pass your Property & Casualty insurance license.

If you want to earn your worth year after year and control your own income then this might be the career for you. We will offer the products people want and the tools you will need to go out and earn your success. The rest will be up to you.

If interested please send cover letter and resume.

By the way. I listed it 3 weeks ago and got one faxed resume.

I don't think you're going to find many people that want to work for $25-30k, hence recruiters promising six-figure paydays.

I'd change the subject line. Craigslist doesn't do a counter, do they?

If I saw your subject line I wouldn't click on it. I would think it was spam or something, asking who my insurance is with.

Also, I would reword the part about 25k first year commissions. To someone not in the business they would think that's all they will make with the normal bump in pay per year. Let them know that realistically you will probably make that in your first year but you can easily make a lot more going forward

Last edited:
I'm with chazm, the subject line is a killer. Where did you post it? If it's on craigslist, I can almost guarentee that your ad will get skimmed right over. Also, I wouldn't even mention possible but realistic commission limits, since there are none. You're only going to make as much as you produce. I'd mention it as being able to be an extremely lucrative career choice for someone who is a go getter, and not list any numbers at all. Maybe say that if you feel like you're worth 6 figures, you can be worth 6 figures, make it happen. Thats just my 2 cents..but what do i know :)

And if you're offering office space and E&O, I would make sure to make a big point about taking care of them and how they will have no over head. Also, as cheesy as it sounds, when I got started my boss told me that they don't want to be just a boss or just a co-worker, they wanted to be a mentor. Going into insurance blind is hard enough, but with the right mentor it can make a world of difference as far as having the confidence to produce.

Last edited:
The compensation will kill this ad. I would give a first year average compensation range of say from $25,000 to $50,000 with potential for higher compensation.

Besides some of the things others have said, I never respond to any type of Craigslist ad without a phone number. There are just too many scams on there. If I have something I am trying to sell or recently my sister had a garage sale and I put an ad on there for her, I put a phone number.

She didn't want a phone number the first week and it was mainly baby stuff which I described the first time around for her with pictures as well. First week she hardly sold a thing.

Second weekend I added a phone number and 75% of everything was sold because people called. I guess she had to talk to a few dip shits but oh well.

I would put your phone number for those to call only if they already have their license, are in school to get it or have an insurance license say for health only who might be interested so that they can talk to you.

I've designed some kick booty recruiting ads and the most responsive ones highlighted support & unlimited income.

People who expect "reasonable" incomes expect to get it with a salary.

Back