Critique My P&C Cold Call Script Please

It's good overall I just wouldn't say that you're not trying to sell them anything because you are. And give them a reason for the call
"the purpose for my call is we have a office in your neighborhood and I'd like to ask you a few questions if that's okay." is not a reason for a call try something like a certain percentage of people are under covered or over paying or you're office is new and you would like to introduce yourself.

its usually if you do not say something good in the first 30 seconds they will not response or call back...;):SLEEP:
</IMG></IMG>

Todd02...getting back to your original question...

I tried to imagine you calling me with that same script and, unfortunately, as soon as you get to the part "are you happy with your current insurance agent?", I know right away you are trying to sell me insurance and I would respond with, "I'm fine, thank you. Have a great day." and hang up.

I just started selling P&C as well so I don't have a ton of experience with it but I do seem to have a good success rate of calls to quotes/leads. I try to sound as natural as possible and I say, "Hi, how are you today? Good! My name is ------ and I'm an account executive with ----------. We actually specialize in insurance for (insert their type of business) businesses and I can generally save my clients about 10-20% off of what they are currently paying. I'm just calling you today to see if you'd like to do a free quote to see how much I can save your business?

I've also been thinking about trying Ari Galper's method of saying, "Hi, I was wondering if you can help me." When the potential client says sure, I would ask about a potential problem/need their type of companies generally have that I can solve. For example, after he/she says sure, how can I help? I could answer with, "I was wondering when the last time your current insurance agent lowered your rates?" and then continuing the conversation from there.

Have you tried anything like that?

Here is what I have been doing. Not much luck yet. Your thoughts:

This is Dan with $%^$@# Insurance. I was giving you a quick courtesy call regarding your auto insurance. We recently took a pretty nice rate decrease on auto insurance in (the town the live in)……. I have been able to save a lot of my clients in the area a good amount of money on their insurance and I wanted to see if I could do the same for you.

I'm just very frank:

"Hi, this is Noob from X calling. If I could save you 20% on your insurance with a competitive company, would you be interested?"

or something like:

"Hi, this noob from X calling. What would I have to do in order to become your new insurance agent?"

One is a yes/no, the other is an open-ended. I get success with both.

Thoughts?

We are using this script/conversation to get P&C quotes. Let me know if you think its to long winded. I actually got this script from our telemarketing dept at Farmers.

Hi Mrs..or..Mr.., This is (_____) with your local Farmers Ins agency how are you today? Great? First off I want to let you know that I'm not calling to try and sell you anything, the purpose for my call is we have a office in your neighborhood and I'd like to ask you a few questions if thats okay.

Are you happy with your current insurance Program?

Has your current agent kept you advised as to why insurance rates have increased so much?

Usually by this point if they don't sound like they are mad or unhappy with their current insurance program we say thanks have a great day. If they are unhappy we tell them, well i'm sorry you are having that experience. We would love to give you a comparision over here at Farmers and see if we can save you money. All I need from you is a few bits of non personal infomation like, what vehicles do you drive...

Please critque. I bought MOJO so now I'm not sure if I should get a straight to the point script or use this one.

Also i've searched EVERYWHERE and i'll I can find on this forum is scripts for med cold calling. Any threads about p&c scripts? If not lets use this one to get ideas rolling.

Thanks,

Todd

I would just simply say, "I'm a LOCAL Farmer's Insurance agent and I am simply calling to introduce myself, to let my people in the area know about my agency, and to see if you would allow me to have the opportunity to help you save on you ______ insurance. Would you be interested in allowing me to do that?" If not, hang up and move on..

I'm about to nitpick, sorry. :)

A while back I learned that people don't like to here you talk about yourself. Here is how you could reword what you wrote to place the emphasis on the person you're talking to:

"Hi, this is _________ with _________ agency. We're a LOCAL Farmer's Insurance office calling you today to let you know we're here to help you save money and protect yourself financially. Would you like the to see if you can save some money on your ______ insurance? It will only take a few minutes"

Or something like that. Put the emphasis on the person you're talking to. Try not to make it sound like you're talking about yourself. Try and remove all the "I"s "me"s and "my"s and if you absolutely have to use "we" instead of the singular. At the very least make sure you refer to them more than you do to yourself.

Just a suggestion...

I would just simply say, "I'm a LOCAL Farmer's Insurance agent and I am simply calling to introduce myself, to let my people in the area know about my agency, and to see if you would allow me to have the opportunity to help you save on you ______ insurance. Would you be interested in allowing me to do that?" If not, hang up and move on..

So what you're finding out is everyone does it differently, take the word's of all find a way that works for you.

"I'm not trying to sell you anything" is a lie.
"We just had a 20% decrease in our rates" sounds like a lie.
I'm with NCPCLHnoob vbmenu_register("postmenu_486707", true); .
Keep it simple, and be totally honest.

Todd02...getting back to your original question...

I tried to imagine you calling me with that same script and, unfortunately, as soon as you get to the part "are you happy with your current insurance agent?", I know right away you are trying to sell me insurance and I would respond with, "I'm fine, thank you. Have a great day." and hang up.

I just started selling P&C as well so I don't have a ton of experience with it but I do seem to have a good success rate of calls to quotes/leads. I try to sound as natural as possible and I say, "Hi, how are you today? Good! My name is ------ and I'm an account executive with ----------. We actually specialize in insurance for (insert their type of business) businesses and I can generally save my clients about 10-20% off of what they are currently paying. I'm just calling you today to see if you'd like to do a free quote to see how much I can save your business?

I've also been thinking about trying Ari Galper's method of saying, "Hi, I was wondering if you can help me." When the potential client says sure, I would ask about a potential problem/need their type of companies generally have that I can solve. For example, after he/she says sure, how can I help? I could answer with, "I was wondering when the last time your current insurance agent lowered your rates?" and then continuing the conversation from there.

Have you tried anything like that?
Do you REALLY think calling yourself an "Account Executive" will help you as opposed to calling yourself what you really are? Are you ashamed of being an insurance agent?

Here are my thoughts, excuse grammar and punctuation as I ramble through my thoughts.

Since my thread from 1 1/2 years ago was bumped up and I just saw this and read through all the thoughts and opinions I'd thought I'd give you an update.

First off the script while important is not NEAR as important as the telemarketer on the phone with the client. Having a sweet/southern/polite person calling for you is critical. At the same time having someone with a sales mentality on knowing who/when/why they are interested in a quote. (hope that makes sense).

Secondly the script I use is the same as originally posted except for the line "we are not trying to sell you anything".

After 2 years of being a Farmers agent my PIF is 1800ish, I have 2 telemarketers, 1 full time CSR that is licensed and 1 agency producer. I have also had my hair line recede, which blows being 27. I did have time to lose 50lbs ;).

Last year my 1099 was 144k gross, again only my second year. (take home was low since I decided to invest in quality people to build a book). I'm hoping after my 3rd year my renewals make my gross anual around 200k. Not trying to brag just giving other beginers an idea of what they can acheive.

I have mixed my marketing efforts into three different marketing tactics. Cold calling being one of those. My telemarketers do not only cold call. My other tactics envolve mailers and online marketing. Only about 8% of the population has a phone number not on the DNC list. So our numbers run out quickly using a power dialer. This means do not make cold calling your only marketing tactic or you will fail. Just like putting all your eggs in one basket approach.

If your looking at becoming a captured agent, don't do it in this market. I hate life insurance quotas. I would wait until the housing market recovers to become a captured and after all the insurance companies take rate. In Texas we had 9 CAT's in 2011.... Sucks.

I do not get on here often so please do not PM me. I'll troll the boards every now and then to give advice but have a sour taste in my mouth about this place after trying to get advice and being insulted.

Good luck to everyone! SELL SELL SELL!

Back