CT man arrested for bigotry-fueled tirade against smoothie shop workers over son’s allergic reaction

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
CT man arrested for bigotry-fueled tirade against smoothie shop workers over son’s allergic reaction

Store employees told police that Iannazzo never told them about the peanut allergy but had only requested that there be no peanut butter in his drink.

Merrill Lynch, where Iannazzo worked as a financial advisor, said Sunday it investigated the incident and fired him.

"Our company does not tolerate behavior of this kind. We immediately investigated and have taken action. This individual is no longer employed at our firm," the company said in a statement.

Could've been written differently if he didn't hurl insults at them.

"Father of peanut allergy child returned to address concerns of peanut butter in son's drink nearly causing near-fatal allergic reaction."

Yet, the article (and investigation) had to focus on his response, not the cause.

Granted, if the son's allergy is that severe, I'd say "I need a nut-free drink for my son due to his allergies." But that's not what the father said.

Lack of communication skills all the way around.

It never ceases to amaze me that people with food allergies but stuff without knowing ALL of the ingredients. I have a neighbor who has had to visit emergency rooms while on vacation because they order food in restaurants, or purchase packaged food without looking or asking about what is inside. Her kids are forever leaving their EPI pens home but it is never their fault, always the fault of the restaurant or supplier of packaged goods. A simple "what is in this smoothie" before it is ordered or made and there would have been no issue

I understand his anger. However, At the end of the day it is his responsibility, and if any, his fault.
It is a fast food place with minimum wage kids serving. A wayward peanut, peanut dust or a spoon will peanut butter?

Just like i would understand the father or uncles of one of those girls kicking his ass on main street. Or kicking his financial ass.

What an asshole, needs to be arrested for assault when he threw that drink. Big man with young girls. I doubt he would've been such a "badass" if there was a man in there.

Considering the probably violent allergic reaction of his son, I'm sure he got into "Papa Bear" mode... but there are limits.

Trying to force his way in? That's excessive.
Throwing the drink at the employee? That's excessive.
Swearing and hurling insults? Excessive.

Having been in management at banks and other places, I can handle anyone and will work with anyone who treats us with respect. No swearing, no assault, and no threatening.

Do any of those three? I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Considering the probably violent allergic reaction of his son, I'm sure he got into "Papa Bear" mode... but there are limits.

Papa Bear mode should have been active prior to ordering a drink that contains an ingredient your child is mortally allergic to.

He failed as a father and almost killed his child. Then wanted to blame someone else to make his wounded ego feel better.

Any parent whos kid has a severe food allergy knows to tell a restaurant about the allergy. Especially when the item you ordered for the kid has that allergic ingredient in it. And when you receive the item, you ask and double check that it was made without that listed ingredient. Its a normal part of going to a restaurant for any competent parent of a child with a severe food allergy.

Multiple articles say he is a CFP, but I couldnt find him on the registry. If he is, I hope they take away his certification. Maybe that means they already did... but Im pretty sure the rules state there must be a board review to take away ones certification. Maybe Im wrong, and while I agree with the action in general, not if they subverted the rules for this.

He has yet to make a court appearance, but the court of public opinion is certainly weighing in their opinions. Of course, those that don't, run the danger of being perceived as condoning such behavior.

I wonder what his U-4 will say? (Damn - 25 years with Merrill. That sucks that one incident caused him to be terminated this way.)

Latest posts

Back