Currently Advising Client with Loss of Job to Estimate Over FPL Before End of Month

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Client has lost job paying $29k. No savings, applied for Food Stamps, TANF, qualified. Has 16 year old at home, already on CHIP.

Hasn't paid May subsidized premium of $150+, and asked what to do. Has applied for Medicaid.

I am suggesting reporting to HC.gov before 6/1 that client can make enough for remainder of year to still qualify for subsidy in our non-Medicaid expansion state. Otherwise, HC.gov will report no longer qualifying for subsidy. Yikes. Then premium is about $470/mo.

If Medicaid is turned down, there will still be health insurance in place. Right now, there is a carrier confirmed 90 day grace period for the May premium. With lowered income the lowest monthly premium amount possible is still about $70/mo. This does seem to keep options open in case of finding another well enough paying job. Call and cancel coverage if approved for Medicaid.

I feel like I need to take a Medicaid eligibility worker to lunch. The ones in our local offices have been quite helpful, and pick up the phone on the 2-3 times I have called. Of course they can't discuss each client, but can talk about rules. This has helped me assist clients in their choices, or at least know more what to expect.

The main concern of the Medicaid eligibility worker I talked to this week is agents telling clients that HC.gov has told them they qualify for Medicaid. Whether or not the agent intends to tell them they definitely qualify, the client demands Medicaid and is angry if not granted.

Back