Customer Says: I Don't Like the CEO of Progressive

JWP

Expert
My best rates for a customer is with Progressive (home and auto). She tells me they cannot buy a policy from that company because of what the CEO stands for. I've heard this from other customers in the past too, so now I want to know why.

I try not to pry into people's personal life, but if I was to group these people, it seems like they lean towards a tea-party political stance and are very conservative religiously. So, is the Prog CEO a liberal atheist? Are these people confusing Progressive with GEICO?

I'm guessing this is from a case a while back where Progressive was accused of defending the person who ran into their insured rather than paying out an underinsured motorist claim. They lost.

Tricia Griffith, who is CEO now, was the claims group president at the time.

Here is the article:
Progressive Corp. stung by bad publicity in case of young woman who died in 2010 wreck | cleveland.com

As always, there is probably a lot more to the story then what is published. Not even sure this is the issue your clients are referring to. Anyone who was claims group president is going to have a LOT of issues of denying claims that perhaps should have been paid. Goes with the territory.

Dan

I don't sell P&C but I have heard people say the same thing, some of who were pretty savvy folks. What I've heard is due to the strong political left leaning by the company. True? False? Details? I couldn't tell you, and I don't have progressive. My .02 was probably only worth .01

It is the CEO with liberal leanings and donations to liberal causes.

Progressive Insurance — Peter Lewis Donations

Can't blame the customer for not wanting to spend their hard earned money with a company that doesn't share their political views.

But this appears to be old news, and may not be the case for Progressive, the company.

Dave

Why, half of America voted for a man who doesn't share their political views?

But seriously, their money, their decision. It may be real or it may be a smokescreen. Show them the next best option you have and let them decide if it is worth paying more because they did agree with the company CEO.

I have Progressive and have the same issue with many customers. Insurance companies and CEO's need to stay out of the political scene.

That being said, I was in Cleveland and spoke to the CEO about this issue. Apparently the new CEO leans a little right.

I am a conservative. Most people will purchase with their politicals beliefs in line.

I have Progressive and have the same issue with many customers. Insurance companies and CEO's need to stay out of the political scene.

That being said, I was in Cleveland and spoke to the CEO about this issue. Apparently the new CEO leans a little right.

I am a conservative. Most people will purchase with their politicals beliefs in line.

Really....

So, how is your iPhone or Android phone holding up?

Really....

So, how is your iPhone or Android phone holding up?

I see what you are alluding to.....

I have an android. There are many companies that I purchase from that I dont agree with politically, but a lot of people feel different and that is on both sides of the political debate.

BTW: UT alum Class of 84. Go Vols

Back