Customer Service... or Ball and Chain?

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
Wanting to get the forum's opinions.

I mainly do Med Supps and senior life products. I rarely get complaints. I had a new client...rather upset with me today because a few days ago he called my office at 8am and 9am and I didn't return his call until 1pm.

Today, evidently he called 2xs throughout the day (he said 18... we know that's not right) and I returned his call at 6:00pm.

I have a home office and I give all my clients my home office number. I don't feel as if I should give out my cell to everyone. Most people are OK with hearing back later in the day. I always return calls by the end of the business day.

So, my question is, do I have bad customer service because I don't return calls while on the road? If yes, then maybe I should change how I do things...

But, I've always found it to be efficient to get back from the day, play the answering machine, write my notes, and return the 3-4 calls.

Should I change things? Or is this just a client who isn't easily pleased?

Your thoughts?

I mainly do Med Supps and senior life products. I rarely get complaints. I had a new client...rather upset with me today because a few days ago he called my office at 8am and 9am and I didn't return his call until 1pm.

Today, evidently he called 2xs throughout the day (he said 18... we know that's not right) and I returned his call at 6:00pm.

I have a home office and I give all my clients my home office number. I don't feel as if I should give out my cell to everyone. Most people are OK with hearing back later in the day. I always return calls by the end of the business day.

So, my question is, do I have bad customer service because I don't return calls while on the road? If yes, then maybe I should change how I do things...

But, I've always found it to be efficient to get back from the day, play the answering machine, write my notes, and return the 3-4 calls.

Your thoughts?

Many times it is just not practical to instantly return calls. Especially when they need something that takes some research. If you only have a couple hundred clients then it is much easier. As you book grows there are just to many calls to not control them.

I think that calling them back by end of business is good. The thing with many seniors is that they are retired and have all day to stew about things. Just the way it is.

Lee

Your thoughts?

It is a little late for returning calls...maybe give more of a time frame on the voicemail to prepare them. Some people just won't be happy unless they get you on the first call though. Agents are usually the worst about it. When I worked for a marketing group, they would keep calling back, refuse to leave messages, then be pissed they couldn't get a hold of me. I was usually gone from the phone for 90 min tops then immediately returned calls.

You need to train your clients. I always educate my clients that I spend my days doing exactly what I was doing with them and so may not be able to answer immediately and even if I answer may need to get thier file to answer some questions. I let them know I will return a call with x amount of time if for no reason other than to let them know I've gotten it. I also let them know of the systems I have in place to make sure I get thier calls.

Most people understand, they just want to make sure they don't fall through cracks.

Though I had one guy years back call me and team me out said he had been calling for a week (before caller id) and I had not returned his calls. I apologized then let him know I wanted to return his calls however he never once left his name or phone number, I actually played one of his calls and he calmed down.

I always tell clients I will call them back within 24 hours. I have never had anyone complain. Most of the time I just answer the calls unless I recognize a serial caller...

One thing I do is to leave a few extra business cards after the sale is over. On the back of my card is a photo of me and a line that says that the highest compliment they can give me is to refer me to their friends and family.

I tell them about how I take care of them and their referrals, and how much they help keep my advertising costs down (people love to help out). Then I tell them that if they have any questions about their coverage, please do not hesitate to call me no matter how trivial it may seem. I then tell them that just like I did not answer my phone while I was with them, I extend that courtesy to all of my clients and that if they don't reach me, just leave me a message and I'll get back to them within 24 hours. Letting them know that ahead of time has kept me from getting many irate calls like you described, but there is NO way to get rid of all of them. Sometimes you have to remind people that you are busy and it may take some time for you to get back to them.

Is this a consistent issue? Otherwise, I agree with DS4 (other than the giving of your cell phone #) in not changing your model for one client.

Did this client complain the first time? Regardless, it gives you an opportunity to establish some boundaries. I used to have clients who called me at all hours, weekends etc. and expected an immediate response...that was my fault for not setting expectations.

Back