Customer Service

Sorchamuse

We often will requote a client's auto, home, umbrella and motorcyle insurance, just
to have the client go somewhere else.

How can we provide the best service to our clients, without spending so much time
on something they are going to throw away?

Generally, by the time that the customer has called to cancel they have already looked at the other options out there and have decided to leave, regardless of what you do to entice them to stay. I will often take the call and if the customer gives me some time to make a reply, ask if I can look over the situation and get back to them the next day (or so). By doing this I have found that it takes the edge off the immediate conversation and allows me to find a solution and call back. I'd say it only works 50% of the time because the customer is already pissed that you didn't call with the changes earlier.

We try to be pro-active. Our management system will alert us if a premium has gone up more than 10%. We will then re-market that account and contact the insured to move their insurance if we can save them money. Our retention is excellent. And I will say most of our clients will call us prior to making a move, giving us time to quote with our other carriers.

We try to be pro-active. Our management system will alert us if a premium has gone up more than 10%. We will then re-market that account and contact the insured to move their insurance if we can save them money. Our retention is excellent. And I will say most of our clients will call us prior to making a move, giving us time to quote with our other carriers.

We are implementing this- may I ask what other things you do to retain clients?

We often will requote a client's auto, home, umbrella and motorcyle insurance, just
to have the client go somewhere else.

How can we provide the best service to our clients, without spending so much time
on something they are going to throw away?

Stop selling personal insurance, and only sell commercial. Premiums are bigger, turnover is low, many accounts grow over time, referrals are high, and maintenance is low.

Or you can have lower premium higher turnover personal lines. More work for less money. Up to you.

Stop selling personal insurance, and only sell commercial. Premiums are bigger, turnover is low, many accounts grow over time, referrals are high, and maintenance is low.

Or you can have lower premium higher turnover personal lines. More work for less money. Up to you.

Caveat, not an agent.

My view from the sidelines is that that is a generalization which may not always hold true on a client by client basis.

In my experience in the first decade of the 21st century, I observed the 200-300 employee business I worked for requiring far more maintenance from their commercial agency than I ever required of my automotive carrier and agent representative.

We are implementing this- may I ask what other things you do to retain clients?
We do a lot of hand holding. We remind our clients if they have a pending non-payment. If they are uncomfortable making payments on the company website they can call us and we will do it for them. We treat them kindly. We have a great retention with our personal lines clients.

Caveat, not an agent.

My view from the sidelines is that that is a generalization which may not always hold true on a client by client basis.

In my experience in the first decade of the 21st century, I observed the 200-300 employee business I worked for requiring far more maintenance from their commercial agency than I ever required of my automotive carrier and agent representative.

Unfortunately LostDollar, you are not on the sidelines, you are on a different planet, and your comparison was foolish and misleading.

That 200-300 employee business required less servicing than the dozens of personal lines clients that had to be sold and serviced to bring in the same amount of commissions. Not just your account.

Back