Damsel in Distress...Should I Partner in an Exisiting Agency or Start My Own?

Nic

I am currently a commercial lines manager at an independent insurance agency in Florida with over 10 years of experience. I've been looking for a new opportunity for a while and contemplating opening my own agency. Recently, an agent friend of mine with an existing business for 20 years mentioned she would like to bring in a partner.

So my question is...what are the pros and cons of each?

Any insight current business owners can offer would be appreciated.

It would depend on the direct market access for commercial lines specifically in Florida for me. I would also think about the fact if you were to open up your own shop would you do PL, if so do you have a plan for PL. I think you should put together your buiz model and see which way, on your own or joining them, you would be able to hit your goals.

That is extremely broad. Bring you in as a partner. I am a south Florida agent so make sure if you are getting in with her agency that she has the appointments you need. Otherwise I reccomend either a franchise or a company that will get youthe appointments you need. Appointments are everything down here and are very difficult to get. Good luck.

Back