Data for insurance company portfolio returns?

MartinJ

Expert
Is there a source for looking at the annual returns of insurance company portfolios, with regard to annuities and life insurance?

Also insurance companies invest according to the regulators guidelines. If the regulator says put 70% into 30 year bonds, you are not going to see much difference in returns from one company to another. They all probably invest in 0,5% in stocks, there is obviously different rate of returns on that portion.Each insurance company has different age distribution of their policy holders and you should expect different credit quality of the bond portfolio based on that. Stock companies invest more in high yield bonds than mutual companies because if things go south, they can always sell more stock and raise cash. Mutuals dont have that option so their portfolio is usually more conservative. In short, there is no easy way to compare rate of returns without knowing the distribution of remaining policies age and health.

I imagine so. Which carrier was it?

Federal Life...they also pulled their term, single premium, and FE products for an overhaul the first of this year. Covid caught them with their pants down and I'm afraid this year may be a sum 0 on the sales side. I'll hold out some hope, but I can see them pricing themselves right out the market if they don't use some sense in product role out soon.

Is there a source for looking at the annual returns of insurance company portfolios, with regard to annuities and life insurance?

While stock, mutual, and mutual holding companies have different structures -- start with the respective company's annual report (if applicable). NAIC used to publish a report (I am not sure if it was annual) that contained a lot of this type of information, and also included a great deal of information on the general reserves, other reserves, etc., of various companies. The NAIC link in the above post also contains a lot of information. In addition, you can contact companies and see what information they make available. Good luck!

Back