Data Prices....

senior-advisor-indiana

Guru
5000 Post Club
Indiana
I was wondering why there is such a huge mark up on data. There are vendor/vendors here selling lists at 60 cents per record when they can be had for 15 cents or less per record. Some of these vendors often comment about how agents are over paid too.

Because some people have convinced others that they do something unique. However they get the data from the same source anyone can and save a bundle.

Rick

It's simple....because you still pay for it. Supply and demand.

Although...I just gave away I think it was over 20K records to someone on here a few days ago....FOR FREE.

If agents are willing to pay a certain amount for data...then the co's will sell it at that price.

It's simple....because you still pay for it. Supply and demand.

Although...I just gave away I think it was over 20K records to someone on here a few days ago....FOR FREE.

If agents are willing to pay a certain amount for data...then the co's will sell it at that price.

Its not the company selling it at that price. It's the middle man jacking the price up. 20k records doesn't cost much at all. Still a nice gesture but not worth much.

You can either pay up to $69 for the 1,000 records from someone who has said repeatedly that agents are overpaid (but does provide good service),

or $500 for 15,000 and pull them when needed until used up (higher numbers are cheaper),

or $55 for 1,000 from the same guy who does my mailings,

or $50 for 1,500 but the company is a bit more difficult to deal with.

Lots of choices and all the data really comes from the same place.

For those who only need 1,000 records it really makes little difference. But if you are doing repeat mailings, telemarketing, etc. then why pay more for the same data?

Rick

You can either pay up to $69 for the 1,000 records from someone who has said repeatedly that agents are overpaid (but does provide good service),

or $500 for 15,000 and pull them when needed until used up (higher numbers are cheaper),

or $55 for 1,000 from the same guy who does my mailings,

Lots of choices and all the data really comes from the same place.

For those who only need 1,000 records it really makes little difference. But if you are doing repeat mailings, telemarketing, etc. then why pay more for the same data?

Rick

50,000 records for $1,000 or 100,000 for $1,500 is a much better deal.....

This is certainly a great thread.

I'm not sure exactly why other companies price themselves the way they do. Part of it is that it actually does cost money to compile and aggregate quality lists. There is also a cost associated with marketing and advertising, such as Sales Genie paying for Super Bowl ads, but PPC alone can run $15-$20/click, so that also adds some cost. Most vendors also pay sales staff, sales support, and have a brick and mortar to cover.

I'm priced where I am because it's an extremely competitive price point well below every competitor I see offering the same tier of data. Very few companies are willing to put their prices on the wall because of threads like this.

The company Rick is referencing is BestRateReferrals.com. I've never bought data from them, but have heard good things about the quality of their data. A gentleman on the forum here had an unpleasant experience with them which Rick was aware of, but still promoted. That $50/1,500 looks like a great price (and it is), but that's only pricing Rick got because he doesn't like me. Here's the pricing at BRR if you called them up and didn't mention anything about Rick.

BestRateReferrals.com
1,000 .12 10,000 .07 100,000 .04
3,000 .10 25,000 .06 250,000 .03
5,000 .08 50,000 .05 500,000 .02

As you can clearly see, to get to close to the .069/record price point I offer clients at the 1,000 mark you'd have to order 10,000 records.

Buying data is worse than buying a car, but if you did a comparison shop with any company that focuses on selling data you'll easily find that AffordableMarketingLists.com has extremely competitive pricing. Rick will always be able to find someone willing to cut their prices to get under where I'm at, but that will happen at any price point. On top of that, I have a guaranteed in writing replacement or refund on 100% of any bad data (which is usually less than 3%) and folks can usually get their data same day. I also will let folks get setup on self-service where they can pull it as few as they need at a time with only ordering 1,000 upfront at the same price point if we pull it.

In the very near future I'll be launching a super inexpensive data plan, but still waiting on the developers to wrap that up.

Josh is just wrong. I can get data through Best Rate Referrals for $59 for 1,500 names. I'm pretty sure this beats his $69 for 1,000 by a wide margin, but then I didn't major in math. Maybe Josh did.

I make nothing selling lists, cheap or overpriced. I am able to help people save money on the same data. You want to use Best Rate Referrals? Just let me know and you pay $59 for 1,500.

However, if you are using large quantities you can save quite a bit using another source for the same data. I did not ask for the volume pricing to beat Josh. It's what they charge everyone and it's not a special deal. And I believe it's the same place that Josh says he can have people pull their own data - except there's no middle man profit.

Some people enjoy paying more, some of us don't. Some of us don't like the idea of supporting people who think agents are overpaid. Some of us do.

Rick

Back