Dave Ramsey ELP Thoughts

I don't agree with the vehement anti-Ramsey crowd at all. I think he has some very good principles and has helped a lot of people, me included.

For example, if you are making $45k per year working in a factory with no retirement savings you should not buy whole life. Many life agents would sell that person $200/mo whole life if they could. It is almost never an appropriate solution.

Another example is you should not accrue debt for depreciating assets. No car loan, no vacation on the credit card, no furniture on payments. If you do have debt, you should recognize the risk and pay it off aggressively. This is a good principle.

I just wish he would stop with the 12% number. However, to declare him all bad because of that one error is childish and short-sighted.

I don't agree with the vehement anti-Ramsey crowd at all. I think he has some very good principles and has helped a lot of people, me included.

For example, if you are making $45k per year working in a factory with no retirement savings you should not buy whole life. Many life agents would sell that person $200/mo whole life if they could. It is almost never an appropriate solution.

Another example is you should not accrue debt for depreciating assets. No car loan, no vacation on the credit card, no furniture on payments. If you do have debt, you should recognize the risk and pay it off aggressively. This is a good principle.

I just wish he would stop with the 12% number. However, to declare him all bad because of that one error is childish and short-sighted.
My entry above was a joke. I think he's helped a lot of people get control of their financial world. But he also has a general "one size fits all" approach that can be extremely unhelpful. For that reason he rubs a lot of advisors the wrong way.

...he also has a general "one size fits all" approach that can be extremely unhelpful. For that reason he rubs a lot of advisors the wrong way.

This I agree with. I think with these financial guru's all have a one size approach. It is tough to be nuanced when you talk to 10,000,000 people. You have to pick one approach and stick with it. It is up to the consumer to apply it appropriately.

Back