Day One

hjdinfl

Expert
A guy wants to get started in the final expense market selling Insurance. He is licensed with a couple of companies but has no money to buy leads and little money for gas. What serious advice would you give him to put money in his pocket the first week? Would you send him out door knocking or to get a job until he has enough money saved to buy leads and fill his tank with gas?
Curious of your thoughts. Thanks.

So why do you say that? The guys spends Monday and Tuesday going on looking for a job. Wednesday he gets several interviews and two say he can start next Monday $10 an hour 40 hours a week and they will pay him in two weeks.

Or he can go out door knocking say in Sulphur Springs and find one person that needs life insurance and will pay $40 a month bank draft on a 100% contract 12 months advancing. If he keeps going and averages 1.5 sales a week, how is he not better off selling from day one?

1 to see if there is agreement in my advice and
2 to help work on demographics to pick a neighborhood to go door knocking.

If I was in Tampa the Sulphur Springs neighborhood would be an ideal place to start a new agent off door knocking in my thinking.

In other words, lower middle class to middle middle class neighborhoods...

3 to fine tune the thinking, approach, and anything else to help put money in the guy's pocket

In the multitude of counsellors there is safety...

While door knocking was my first idea, I am not married to it and I am certainly open to other ideas as well. What prospecting idea would you be willing to share to get someone earning money next week? :yes:

I would just go door knocking. Start out at 9 and don't stop till 5. Except for a quick lunch of course. I would also work by appointment only. I would do that by saying something like " Hello, my name is ____with____,I've got several appointments with people in your neighborhood this week concerning the supplement to their social security benefit of $255 , and I just wanted to see if I could set up a time to come by and visit with you about it tomorrow, open your appointment book before they can say anything and say I've got a 10:30 in the morning and a 4:00 in the afternoon, which would be more convenient for you ? " I think this makes you look more professional (that you work by appointment only) and also it shows them that you value their time and that your not desperate and just trying to peddle something. Once you start making appointments, you simply set up more appointments between appointments. Very simple and effective. It has been for me anyway.

I even go so far as to refuse to come in if they tell me they have time to talk right now and invite me in. I say, sorry I've got an appointment with Mr. and Mrs. ____ in 15 minutes but I can pencil you in for tomorrow at 10:30 or would 4:00 be better ? And then I hope like hell they pick one.
:laugh:

Borrow 60 bucks and purchase a list of names of people 60-77 and (if you have enough money for a phone) make some calls and save your gas. I guarantee that if you call for 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. That on the 5th day you could write $100 (minimum) worth of monthly premium, earning you approx $900 front money.

The problem is that you have to be self-motivated, have a strong work ethic, and drive to be successful in the Insurance game. I don’t know you, but if you don’t have those qualities, save yourself the hassle and run to that $10 an hour job.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
I agree with your need for drive to be successful.

What script do you use to make the phone calls?
In running the $255 leads I have found that even when they are fresh most seniors deny sending them in and even when you show it to them they try to figure out an excuse. I have had them tear them from my hands even. I think its harder to tell me no when I am standing there at their door smiling with a copy of the card they mailed in BUT I spend a lot of gas driving around to be told NO or to not have someone answer the door, so please tell me more!:)

Back