Deaf Prospect Suing Due to Lack of Interpreter

RonRoberts

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have a business partner hosting an insurance seminar in which he invited participants via direct mail. One of the prospects sent an email request for their to be an interpreter present. My partner replied that there would not be one present due to short notice and the seminar taking place in 2 days. He received a phone call today from the Deaf Resource Center here in Baton Rouge stating that if he didn't hire an interpreter that the prospect and the center would sue him.

It does look like via the ADA Law that he is required to have an interpreter if requested, but this could even apply to a sit down meeting between the prospect and the agent. So, in other words if it took 2 or 3 or more times to meet with this client and write a policy, annuity, or some other financial investment transaction that the agent would have to hire an interpreter. In other words, the agent could be out hundreds of dollars for a tire kicker...go figure.

I would ask if they would prefer to provide their own, or inform everyone else the seminar is cancelled as due to the last notice you are unable to secure a translator.

I would ask if they would prefer to provide their own, or inform everyone else the seminar is cancelled as due to the last notice you are unable to secure a translator.

Believe it or not according to what I was reading earlier someone bringing their own does not satisfy the law. The event provider "must" provide the interpreter, as well as the financial advisor, insurance agent, car salesman, etc. must provide one if requested.

The agency also stated that they could provide an interpreter up until the seminar day but that it would be at a premium. How do you like that?

Believe it or not according to what I was reading earlier someone bringing their own does not satisfy the law. The event provider "must" provide the interpreter, as well as the financial advisor, insurance agent, car salesman, etc. must provide one if requested.

The agency also stated that they could provide an interpreter up until the seminar day but that it would be at a premium. How do you like that?

How many employees does the seminar sponsor have? Would hiring an interpreter be excessive in cost or cause undue burden?

I've never done a seminar using sign language, but I have done a number of face to face presentations. Generally my crappy signing along with lip reading has been fine.

But I can't imagine why someone would want to stick it to you because you didn't bend over to their "disability." Even my deaf friends thought the ADA sucked.

Rick

I've never done a seminar using sign language, but I have done a number of face to face presentations. Generally my crappy signing along with lip reading has been fine.

But I can't imagine why someone would want to stick it to you because you didn't bend over to their "disability." Even my deaf friends thought the ADA sucked.

Rick

The prospect did not tell my partner that he would sue if one wasn't provided. The interpreter from the Deaf Resource Center stated their would be a suit if one was not provided.

Back