Dealing with Customers who Won't Talk on Phone

OCinsurance

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am interested to see how you deal with customers who will not speak on the phone and will only email questions. Some questions cannot be answered by email.

I am interested to see how you deal with customers who will not speak on the phone and will only email questions. Some questions cannot be answered by email.

I send them an email something like this. " Hi Joan, I really want to address all your concerns. However, the complexity of these issues require more back and forth dialog than we can have by email. Please call me or let me know the best time to call you."

I like that response. We run into this every so often, but some people simply won't answer a call or call us. They want to ask complex coverage questions and there are too many variables. I know that some people will quote from the policy, but that doesn't satisfy everyone.

I like that response. We run into this every so often, but some people simply won't answer a call or call us. They want to ask complex coverage questions and there are too many variables. I know that some people will quote from the policy, but that doesn't satisfy everyone.

Start delaying your email response and keep them short and open ended. Create more questions than answers. End each email with "we really need to talk. I think I can answer most of your questions wit one call. Call me at 1-800 123-4567"

Not often, but I do get people like that on occasion who only want to email.

I personally don't have a problem with communicating via email. For one thing, I think it helps CYA with E&O related matters (e.g. "my agent told me I was covered for everything"). It helps eliminate the he said-she said complaints.

I have had some sales in which 95% of the communication was via email.

However, before I close the sale, I want to speak to a human voice before I bind the policy if at all possible. I encourage this by saying something like... "due to the recent increase in email hacking, I prefer not to transmit credit card info through email. Give me a call and I'll get you set up in a few minutes".

Most people will go for that. But if they don't, I still would not refuse their business. If that person happens to have a disability that prevents or inhibits them from speaking, they might try to file a lawsuit against you.

Start delaying your email response and keep them short and open ended. Create more questions than answers. End each email with "we really need to talk. I think I can answer most of your questions wit one call. Call me at 1-800 123-4567"
Lee, I called that number but they said they had never heard of you!

I would think very few of these will ever buy from you. I would cut them off quickly. If you don't want to have a conversation, I'm not willing to work with you.

I've made some good long term clients out of these people. Some have been busy housewives and mothers who didn't want to have an agent calling them over and over again, so if you communicate well through email, you can snag them.

The other category of people that I've successfully sold insurance using email only, until the time of application, have been a little bit strange. They ususally are trying to get you to commit to things that they want "in writing".

In cases like that, I would only use carrier approved language in the email or refuse to address it. If you're not comfortable doing that, time to move on.

Ex. They email something like: Are all of my Doctors visits and Rx covered in this policy? I would answer something like Doctors visits and Rx are covered within the limits of the policy and are subject to claims review on a case by case basis.

I literally lol on this one b/c it reminded me of someone I know that negotiates new cars all over email. I think it's perfectly fine as some agents may not respond or push a call...move at the pace the customer wants and I think you can earn their trust. Yes, I can talk faster than I type, but I think it's best to move "with" the customer. Just my opinion.

Lee, I called that number but they said they had never heard of you!

Oh wait, that was the corner pub's number.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am finally comfortable doing the majority of a Life transaction by email or text. But it came slowly. Like many agents I like the sound of my own voice.

Last edited:
Back