Dealing With Non Network PCPs

Nov 11, 2015

1. ChicagoProducer

ChicagoProducer Super Genius

State:
    Illinois
    Hello All,

Some of you write dozens of MA/PDs per month, and that's great. But how do you deal with the issue of their doctor NOT being in network? I can sell the benefits of MAPDs all day, and people love it, until I go to verify if their doctor is in the network, and he's not, then the sale is lost. Seniors don't like to change docs, I've found.

I saw one fellow wrote 60+ already this season! Most docs accept all the major carrier MAPDs, or none at all.

This really hurts my T65/New To MA business.

Any thoughts?

2. TN_agent

TN_agent Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    This is going to be really regionally specific. Some areas are just better than others for selling MAPD. Some carriers are better than others (around here) in terms of networks of doctors. I primarily work in an area where the doctors/hospitals are MAPD friendly. It is very rare that a client's PCP does not take any MAPDs at all. I sometimes get into trouble with combinations of doctors or formularies. I find it is easier to get them to change, say, their sleep doctor or their orthopedic surgeon that they haven't seen in years than their PCP.

TN_agent, Nov 11, 2015
  3. Chazm

Chazm Guru

State:
    Florida
    Do you write multiple MA plans or Med Supps? If not, problem solved.

Chazm, Nov 11, 2015
  4. Fisher

Fisher Guru

State:
    Missouri
    Find out what network their doctor is in before going into any plan-specific detail. Saves a BUNCH of wasted time.

Fisher, Nov 11, 2015
  5. Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy Guru

State:
    Georgia
    Talk to Thad Sipple. He's a know it all. I mean, he knows it all, as it pertains to out of network doctors. He is really helpful and supportive. I would start with him.

:1wink:

6. finalexpenseguru

finalexpenseguru Super Genius

Does he know if MA plans cover cataract surgery?

7. Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

State:
    Georgia
  8. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    Why not also present Med Supp, Ill is Very affordable. Often times I run into prospects they want the benefits of MA but the freedom of Medsupp.After explaining why they function differently Most times they pay the $100 or less for plan G.If they are not premium and I sell MA with proper expectations.

vic120, Nov 14, 2015
  9. Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

State:
    Georgia
    I notice that no one has jumped in to answer this question.

I am not.

Just waiting for someone who REALLY knows this answer to jump in.

10. agentjhc

agentjhc Guru

State:
    Georgia
    Discuss Med Supp with them. Show advantages of MS, if no go, move on. I don't ask somebody to give up their doctors. Occasionally they indicate they wanted a new one anyway for a variety of reasons, but normally they want to keep their PCP and I don't blame them. So I just move on.