Decided to Go Indy FE

WorldIsMyOyster

Oregon
After much consideration, I have decided to go indy FE. I don't yet have experience, but I want to focus on one thing and quite honestly, I know that if I don't go indy now, I will only end up doing it down the road so why not start now?

I've started reading through FEXContracting and figure I'll go that route. I currently have only my p&c, so about to study for and take the l&h licensure.

So far you all of you that started off indy, do you have any words of wisdom? I'm a bit nervous to jump in with no experience, but I suppose I will learn in time. Did several of you indy guys/gals just jump on off into the deep end of the water (no experience)?

Thanks for any insight.

You won't regret going life-insurance over P&C.

Many agents of started with the no experience at all in the insurance industry. If you have good communication skills and just follow the pattern that is laid out for you by Travis you got a great chance of success.

Thanks Newby. I know I could probably get good training from an experienced agent, but I think I'll actually probably have more of a drive to do this if I'm indy. Right now I'm in Corporate America and quite frankly I'm tired of working my a** off to make someone else rich.

I talked to Scott and I'm feeling pretty good about this choice.

Thanks Newby. I know I could probably get good training from an experienced agent, but I think I'll actually probably have more of a drive to do this if I'm indy. Right now I'm in Corporate America and quite frankly I'm tired of working my a** off to make someone else rich. I talked to Scott and I'm feeling pretty good about this choice.

Don't listen to Scott. Newby is a much better mentor.

Thanks Newby. I know I could probably get good training from an experienced agent, but I think I'll actually probably have more of a drive to do this if I'm indy. Right now I'm in Corporate America and quite frankly I'm tired of working my a** off to make someone else rich. I talked to Scott and I'm feeling pretty good about this choice.

You won't find a more experienced agent to copy your model from than Travis.

But Scott is pretty full of wind.

Well...OK...I'll toss in my two cents.

I believe that there are only 2 basic things you need to know:

1) Know your products like the back of your hand. When you get your companies read your apps, then re-read them daily until you know what that company will accept or not. If you have questions on what risk a company will take...call them and ask for an underwriting assessment. In fact, whether you have an upline or contract directly it's always faster and better to call the company directly.

2) Be able to talk to a complete stranger like you've known them for years. Find something that is of interest to them and bring up a conversation about it, then go from there.

That's it. With these two skills you'll be able to sell anything to anyone. Like selling ice to an Eskimo, or blood to a vampire, or sand to a beach bum...or.....

Well...OK...I'll toss in my two cents. I believe that there are only 2 basic things you need to know: 1) Know your products like the back of your hand. When you get your companies read your apps, then re-read them daily until you know what that company will accept or not. If you have questions on what risk a company will take...call them and ask for an underwriting assessment. In fact, whether you have an upline or contract directly it's always faster and better to call the company directly. 2) Be able to talk to a complete stranger like you've known them for years. Find something that is of interest to them and bring up a conversation about it, then go from there. That's it. With these two skills you'll be able to sell anything to anyone. Like selling ice to an Eskimo, or blood to a vampire, or sand to a beach bum...or.....

Great advice! Also ask for Jerard's commission track so you can track how rich you are getting ;)

After much consideration, I have decided to go indy FE. I don't yet have experience, but I want to focus on one thing and quite honestly, I know that if I don't go indy now, I will only end up doing it down the road so why not start now?

I've started reading through FEXContracting and figure I'll go that route. I currently have only my p&c, so about to study for and take the l&h licensure.

So far you all of you that started off indy, do you have any words of wisdom? I'm a bit nervous to jump in with no experience, but I suppose I will learn in time. Did several of you indy guys/gals just jump on off into the deep end of the water (no experience)?

Thanks for any insight.

I went Independent immediately.

The key is to final expense success is (a) work your ass off, (b) mentor with ONE approach and ONE agent (thus shutting the Forum off), and (c), find a system that is duplicatable.

And remember - hard work always trumps talent in the final expense business.

Back