Decided to go indy... need advice carriers

Decided i could do better going independent. I have followed much of teh advice on this forum and have done pretty well as a captive agent over teh last couple of months (part time). It was good to get my feet wet while someone held my hand, but im ready to take the plunge now. So I really only want to contract with a couple of carriers- 1 dirt cheap and 1 with strong presence in this area. I am in Indiana. Who do you guys recommend?

also would like to be able to do small business plans

i will focus on small business. I took the advice of posters here and hired a few telemarketers to call businesses with 2-9 employees. ended up selling a few family policies to the business owners but missed out on the group policies (and several family plans because of rigidity of our plan).

we have humana, i looked at them, unicare, anthem, and an indianapolis company called medical savings, inc. oh and celtic. unicare and celtic seem to have the cheapest policies. i havent looked at assurant or aetna

good luck. I run into small biz owners quite a bit. Actually just wrote a med supp on the owner of a grain company. He said the employees rates were high. I'll give you his name and number if he is interested.

any advice on health carriers?

Try to add the best known company in your state to your portfolio, it gives you credibility on the telephone when you identify yourself. Here in Texas I noticed a huge difference when I say Blue Cross instead of Insurance Broker. Name recognition counts for a lot. lol

Blue Cross, Aetna, Humana, Unicare etc.

Back